CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE, a tangled web

Violet walked next door the next morning, greeting Jackson and Ramona who were in the kitchen. She then moved to sit at the kitchen island on one of the stools, raising her eyebrows when she realized Jackson was wearing a shirt inside out and it was turned to face the wrong way. She chuckled and rolled her eyes, leaning her head on her hand and resting her elbow on the kitchen island.

Cosmo was in front of Jackson, who knelt in front of him and was petting him. "Cosmo, pay attention. My girlfriend Lola is bringing her new dog, Spot, for me to watch overnight so I need you to play nicely and be very careful where you sniff." He warned as he stood.

"Lola wants us both to watch her dog." Ramona spoke up.

"I'm her boo so I'm in charge." Jackson replied, putting his hands on his hips.

"Girlfriend?" Violet raises her eyebrows. "Since when is she your girlfriend?"

"Since we went on a date." He grinned.

"You sat by each other at lunch. That doesn't make her your girlfriend." Violet rolled her eyes and chuckled, ignoring the small pang in her chest.

Jackson grins, seemingly unfazed by Violet's teasing. "Hey, a date is a date, Vi. Gotta start somewhere, right?"

"Yeah, sure," Violet shrugs with a small chuckle. "Just be careful not to scare her off with your inside-out shirts and backwards logic." She joked, pointing at his shirt.

"I know." Jackson defensively says, looking down at his shirt sheepishly. "Now." He mumbled.

An amused look forms on Violet's face as she watches Jackson's reaction. Despite her teasing, she couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy at the thought of Jackson dating someone else. She quickly pushed those feelings aside, not wanting to ruin the playful banter they were having.

"Hi, guys!" Lola's cheerful voice is heard as she enters the kitchen, holding a small cage. "Meet Spot!"

Violet let out a small yelp, her eyes wide of fear as she scrambles off the stool to back up. "That's a spider." She shuddered, eyeing the tarantula warily. She hated spiders, they freaked her out.

"Yeah, that's a tarantula." Jackson nervously said.

Lola smiles sheepishly and hands the cage to Ramona. "Why-Why would you name a tarantula Spot?" Ramona stammered.

"Because when he bites, he leaves a spot!" Lola smiles brightly. She leans over and opens the cage. "Ooh, you wanna pet him?"

Violet quickly backs up when she opened the cage, her eyes wide with fear. Ramona was quick to hand Jackson the cage. "Well, your boo's in charge so you should probably let him do that."

"Oh, no, no....I'm a gentleman. Ladies first." Jackson nervously replied, handing Ramona the cage.

"I insist." Ramona argued.

"I gotta go. Here is a box of crickets for his dinner. And FYI, he loves being stroked on his fuzzy little thorax." Lola gushed, setting a small box down on the kitchen island.

The other three teens stare at her in disbelief. "Who doesn't?" Jackson finally spoke up after a few moments of silence, smiling nervously.

"Thank you, guys." Lola smiled softly and hugged Ramona.

"No problem!" Ramona assured her.

Lola hugs Violet next, looking at her with concern. "Are you okay? You're shaking."

"Spiders freak me out." Violet mutters, hugging her tightly and trying not to freak out. "But it's no big deal. I'm fine."

"I promise, Spot is a real sweetie." Lola reassured her and pulled away.