Chapter Four

He pleaded, "Rena, please help me out. I assure you; I will repay your kindness generously."

 I hesitated, weighing my options. If I accept, I could be entirely free, but if I decline and stick to my plan, I might need to flee for my life. What to do? Could this be a hidden blessing? 

After a brief moment of prancing back and forth, I finally found my answer. Hesitantly I then asked, "If I do agree, can you promise me one thing?"

"Sure," he replied without much thought.

"Promise me that our relationship will be nothing more than an agreement; I will by no means perform wifely duties in private. " I requested firmly.

He chuckled softly. "You sure know how to make me laugh."

"Your majesty, please take this seriously," I urged. 

"I hope you don't regret this, but I promise. Will you marry me now?" he asked once more, but this time, he gets down on one knee. 

"Please don't do that your majesty, get up." I pleaded with him. How did things go from me kneeling down to him kneeling down before me. 

He insists, not moving an inch. "It wouldn't be a proper proposal without a proper engagement. At least allow me to."

Without further hesitation, I nodded in agreement, and he continued. 

"My dearly beloved, would you do me the honor of making me the happiest man alive by marrying me?" He jokingly asked, reaching for my hand. As expected, I played along. 

"I guess I will." I muttered and he slid the ring on. 

"Isn't this the part where I hug you, swirl you around and plant kisses on your lips," he teases, his playful smile dancing on his lips as he rises from the grass.

"Your majesty!" I interject, hoping fervently that he wouldn't carry on.

"I'm just playing around," he reassures me, his smile widening.

"Do not make jokes like that," I insist firmly. 

He laughs heartily, completely ignoring my words. 

"One thing I find funny is the fact that you trust me to enter your life; I could be a thief for all you know," I remarked, a wry smile playing on my lips.

He laughed even more. "If there is one thing, I can tell just by looking at you, it's that you are definitely not a thief. In fact, after meeting you yesterday, I was reminded of the first time I snuck out, and I saw you helping an old lady who everyone passed by. She had valuables that a thief would have stolen, but you didn't."

"But I was wearing a cape that covered my face, so how could you tell that it was me?"

"The birthmark on your left hand gave it away."

"But it's not that big so there's no way you spotted it on my hand."

"Let's just say I have keen eyes and a good memory," he replied, a playful glint in his eyes.

I rolled my eyes but forced a smile, "I'll take your word for it."

"You already have a beautiful smile; you shouldn't have to force one to please me," he remarked gently, reaching out to brush a stray lock of hair from my face. 

I froze completely, just as I had done yesterday, feeling a blush creeping up my cheeks.

He noticed and swiftly shifted the conversation, "I'll come to your place to announce our engagement in a month, once I have everything arranged. You can hide the ring, if necessary, but please handle it with care as it's a family heirloom."

I swallowed hard, realizing what he had just said, "How can you entrust me with your family's heirloom? It should only be worn by your true bride. What if I even lose it?"

"Well, aren't you, my bride," he said with another one of his teasing grins, "Yet you make a valid point; losing the ring could spell trouble for me, so perhaps it's best if I keep it safe for now." 

As he spoke, I gently took the ring off and handed it back to him. 

He then drifts closer to me, his presence enveloping me like a comforting embrace, and extends his hand. "I'll give you a better life, I promise."

I sigh softly, feeling a bit of hope and uncertainty swirling within me. "And I'll help in whatever way I can."

Thank you for reading the fourth chapter of my story.

What are your thoughts, how do you like the main characters so far? 

Please don't forget to vote, comment and share