Road to Recovery and Love

Start from the beginning

"So, we're just gonna give up on him?" He questioned in disbelief.

"Hun, there's nothing wrong with throwing in the towel when we know we're at our limit. It may not seem like it now but it may even turn out to be the best thing for him."

"But what if it's not?" Ben continued to argue. "What if they just send him to another foster home, where he ends up bounced around with no one giving him a chance?" His voice rose in frustration. Thankfully Ben had taken the call outside.

"That's why we place him in God's hands," Kayla reminded him, "and pray Calvin will find the help he needs."

Ben wiped a hand down his face.

"We never know how long these kids will stay in our lives, hun. Only God knows, and we have to trust when it's time to say good-bye."

He breathed out. "I know, it's just..."

"It's only for everyone's safety, including Calvin's."

"So, then, should we send Kimmy away, too?" He asked, bitterly, pointing out the rock incident and exploding on Calvin. "Or, Claudia?"

"Ben," Kayla scolded.

Ben let out a deep sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. The girls weren't going out of their way to harm others. Claudia may give them a hard time and fight them on almost everything. She never intentionally bullied anyone and no one else's safety was at risk around her.

Ben and Kayla wrapped up the call for now, exchanging "I love you" before he headed back inside.

He went over and dropped a few chairs from where he originally was sitting, dropping his face in his hands. While rubbing his face, Ben heard someone sit in the chair next to him. He looked over to see Kimmy had moved closer.

She stared back at him, holding on to the edge of her seat between her knees. It was still difficult to read this kid. She seemed to be trying, though.

She surely was a head-scratcher.

Eventually, a veterinarian came out, asking for Ben.

He immediately shot to his feet and hurried over to the lady. Kimmy was right behind him.

"Well?" He asked, hopeful.

"Samson is awake and resting," the vet said. "He does have a concussion but no fractures or anything of high concern that would require surgery. We will need to keep him for twenty-four hours to continue monitoring his condition, to make sure."

Ben felt the tension in his neck and shoulders relax as he breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Lord," he praised.

The vet continued. "He also has some bruised ribs and some welts, as well. Samson will need to take it easy for a while. No long walks or anything strenuous. No rough play."

Ben nodded to agree. "Will do," he promised. Samson still had some pup left in him so it may be hard keeping him calm once he has the life back in him.

The vet also prescribed some medication for Samson to take for the pain.

She let Ben and Kimmy follow her to the room where Samson was lying on an examination table. The area around his left leg was shaved to hold an IV for fluids, held on by purple gauze tape. His head was propped on a folded blanket he was also lying on.

Ben let Kimmy go first. She stroked his fur and gently kissed Samson on the side of his snout. When it was his turn, Ben stroked Samson's neck and leaned over to kiss him on the head, being as gentle as possible.

"Love you, Sammy," Ben said softly. "We'll see ya tomorrow, okay?"

Samson pushed himself up, placing his right paw on Ben's arm. Ben gently took hold and gave it a loving squeeze before nudging the dog to lay back down, promising it was only for the night.