next window

Finally, I was free to go.

The whole day feels like a blur.

Nothing special, just your typical first day of school.

My house is pretty close to school so I went there walking.

But when I arrived in the neighbourhood, I noticed there were moving trucks in front of the house right next to us.

Are you kidding me?

This house was my go-to hang out place.

It's not like I was breaking in or anything.

But, it has been empty for ten years at least.

And now I have to deal with neighbours.

Yay.

No one was home yet, so I directly went to my room.

I looked at my bedroom window that is somewhat perfectly parallel to my neighbour's bedroom window.

I hope no creepy man is moving in.

That would be scary.

I'm gonna miss hanging out in that room.

When I wanted to disappear or when there were guests and I didn't want to greet them, I would simply just jump to the room next to me and stay there as long as I wanted to.

Where will I go now?

~~~

I woke up severely dehydrated. There were stretch marks all over my body, and my throat felt sore.

Iconic after school nap, what can I say.

But I didn't wake up from nothing.

There was this sound.

Like a repetitive tapping.

Dap.

Dap.

Dap.

Wait, I think it went away.

..

Dap.

Yea, never mind.

What is that sound?

I looked over and saw my new neighbour throwing a ball at the wall and then catching it.

Then throwing it.

Then catching it.

I stared to make sure that it's not an old man.

But oh gosh.

He's the guy from physics class.

I don't want a classmate as my neighbour, are you kidding me?

"Hello?" I called out opening my window. "Could you stop or at least do it on the other wall?"

The guy paused, mid-throw, and looked up at me, surprise evident on his face.

"Sorry about that," he said, his voice carrying easily across the short distance between our houses. "Didn't mean to disturb you. I'm just trying to kill some time."

I leaned against the window frame, studying him curiously. "No worries. I'm just trying to recover from my nap."

There was a moment of silence as we both seemed to size each other up, neither of us speaking.

Then, out of nowhere, he just threw the ball at me.

I managed to catch it, but now, I feel the need to say something.