Pageant Queens

Lyn tapped the eraser of her pencil against her paper as she waited for Mr

Lyn tapped the eraser of her pencil against her paper as she waited for Mr. Saltzman to enter the classroom. The sound of the door closing alerted her to his entrance.

"Okay. This week, we're gonna set aside our regular curriculum for a lesson in local history as we approach Founder's Day." He announced. "Apparently, the community leaders feel that's more important than World War II. But, hey, what do I know?" Lyn chuckled a little at this, glad someone was willing to call out small-town bullshit.

"Sorry, I'm late," Bonnie announced, rushing into the classroom.

"Looks like we will be at full occupancy today." Bonnie smiled slightly at Mr. Saltzman as she moved to take her seat. "Welcome home, Bonnie." Lyn smiled at Bonnie, but she received nothing in return. Neither did Elena or Stefan, for that matter.

Lyn knew that everyone went through grief differently, but she wished that, just once, everyone could be at peace with one another.

Elena had gone to grab Bonnie after the school day ended, but Lyn knew that wouldn't work out well for anyone.

👑👑👑

When Elena returned home, she looked very much down in the dumps. She filled Lyn in on the worst news of their life. The founder's court had come out, and both of them were on it.

Lyn wanted to scream into a pillow. Loudly.

Lyn didn't even want to be on the court. She had only signed up under her mother's persuasion. But now her mother was gone and there was no way she was backing out now. She owed it to the woman who raised and loved her. And she would honor that.

Knocking on the door of the Lockwood mansion, Lyn held her breath in anticipation. This was so not how she pictured this week going. The door swung open, and Carol Lockwood stood in the foyer. "Hello, Emalyn." She greeted, ushering her inside. "What can I do for you?"

"Hi, Mrs. Lockwood." Lyn smiled. "I was hoping that I could talk to Tyler for a bit?" She requested.

"Of course, he's upstairs in his room." She directed. Lyn nodded and moved up the stairs towards Tyler's room. She knocked on his door twice before it swung open, and a disgruntled-looking Tyler stood at the other side of the doorway. He sighed when he saw her and opened the door wider, allowing her to enter his room.

"Look, if you're here to scold me about the kick-off party, believe me, I've gotten a lot of that already."

"I'm not here to scold you, Tyler," Lyn told him, and he raised an eyebrow at that. "Even if you were an ass." She added on. He rolled his eyes but gestured for her to continue, nonetheless. "So, do you remember when my mom forced Elena and me to sign up for Miss Mystic Falls?"

"Yeah, but what does that have to do with anything- no." He said as soon as he realized what she was asking.

"Come on, please!" Lyn begged.