Part 20: For Old Times' Sake

On their next adventure, it was some adventure in the Alaskan wilderness. Just another milder adventure. It was also on this one that Brooklyn made a decision that perhaps he hadn't thought of before, that his young companion, Sil had now been living with him for a whole year.

Sil was intrigued to know of this. Too bad the clan wasn't there to share in their experience. Brooklyn caught some fish for their dinner to celebrate. Sil was now a year old, but he wanted to be called what his age seemed to say about him, that he was nine years old instead. Most other travelers wouldn't believe it anyway. They would keep that secret between them.

They stayed and moved around for a few weeks in Alaska. It was winter in whatever year it was. Sil had to wear his warmest robes, but he also doubled it with the Roman robes too. The cold didn't bother Brooklyn so much, though occasionally. Sil wondered how his 'father' even stayed warm like this.

But eventually, they did come to a town in Canada where Brooklyn got them some food from a store at night. They were still out in the country when they soon encountered a grizzly bear and they couldn't help but run, making them abandon their food and campsite. As they got chased away, the Gate decided it was time for them to leave again, with them both feeling famished.

..............

Tell El Armana – 1891

There was a man who was digging at his own site away from his group. He and they were trying to find some missing artifact. They had been told if they found the missing artifact that they would be paid well.

The scruffy old man soon hit some paydirt as he found a wooden box underneath the earth. He pulled it out and with the lock all rusted away on it, indicating it was very old, using his shovel, he also broke through the wood on the box quietly to make sure to not let his other workers hear him, he saw there was some writing on the box that he paid no attention to, but he got the cloth prize inside of it.

When he unwrapped the cloth, it was some kind of disk. It was made of solid carnelian almost half an inch thick. It was deep orange on the rim and yellow orange in the center and smoothly polished. It also had some hieroglyphics on its outer edge. Like the sun it almost represented, it seemed to be warm in his hands.

"This could be a real prize." He smirked. He put the cloth back in the box and put it back in the hole he found it in. Then he threw dirt back over the box. He took off with his prize, hoping to be well paid for it.

.............

Not too far away, the Phoenix flames opened up and out came two figures, a red gargoyle and a young Skeksis. They fell to the ground. Brooklyn grabbed onto Sil to soften the blow for him against the ground. They both grunted at the landing, winding them. But the dirt was also softer to land on too, as it was actually sand.

Sil rolled away from Brooklyn. They both stood up and brushed themselves off.

"At least there aren't any grizzly bears here." Brooklyn stated.

"Where are we now?" Sil asked, looking around. "What is this stuff?"

"It's sand, Sil. Not sure where we are at the moment, but we are in a desert." Brook explained. He listened. He could hear some water around somewhere. At least there was water. "It's possible we could be in Egypt I'm guessing. Goliath, Elisa, Bronx, and Angela wound up there on their world tour once. But what year is another matter."

Sil's stomach growled suddenly. "I'm hungry."

Brook felt his growl too, rather loudly. "Me too. We'll try to find something to eat." He said and he encouraged Sil to follow him.