Chapter 001: Declan Mansion

District E-94 was a modern locality with infrastructural designs that matched its fame.

However, in the centre of this technologically advanced neighbourhood stood a grand mansion of traditional architecture.

Although the summer sun was already high in the sky, the temperature in one of its numerous rooms dropped drastically.

And because of the classic blackout curtains, the entire place was pitch black.

CLACK!

Majestic double doors burst open.

A faint glow appeared in the distance, disrupting the darkness.

Soon after, the sound of heavy footsteps echoed in the grand space, bouncing off the walls and reverberating through the rest of the quiet mansion.

The faint light grew stronger with each step heard.

It illuminated the enormous figure ahead as well as the area around them, revealing a majestic surrounding.

"That b*stard has surely retained the lesson this time around. There's no way he would dare bring in any more of those pests into our home, what do you think?"

The voice belonged to the source of the bluish light that followed closely behind the footsteps.

It's proprietor was a semi-translucent being that floated above the ground.

Its features were fuzzy but its silhouette was undoubtedly that of a humanoid. Even its voice, albeit somewhat chilling, seemed to be that of a bubbly young female.

The footsteps stopped abruptly. A deep, animalistic growl filled the room.

The inhumane sound rattled the windows and caused the walls and ground to vibrate.

Crashing glasses and falling wood could be heard all around.

It seemed that the noise was powerful enough to cause irreparable damage to decorations in some of the nearby rooms as well.

"Scram!"

The command came out in a threatening tone.

Although seemingly shocked at first, the translucent being hovering almost over him didn't take much time to regain her initial disposition.

Leaning over the burly creature's broad shoulder, she whispered with a chuckle,

"Always so fussy about personal boundaries, aren't you, Draggie Bear."

Pulling back, she summersaulted in the air and landed straight into her favourite armchair.

Drag's eyebrows drew closer together. His muzzle wrinkled in disgust.

The deceptively genuine whimper she'd let out while feigning fear seconds prior hadn't failed to irk him.

Luckily, he had his back to her. He didn't want to give her the pleasure of knowing she was successful in one of her countless attempts at annoying him.

With his face back to its original expressionless but naturally menacing state, Drag turned to her.

The hazy glow blurring her features was no longer there.

Even though Drag towered over her from his standing position, settled in the upholstered chair with her back straight and chin up, Micaela looked like a queen looking down at a measly bug.

Her face was stern, her features sharp.

"Don't call me that," he warned through clenched teeth.

Her cold eyes didn't avert Drag's, as she rested her slightly titled head on her long, manicured fingers.