Chapter 2: Journey Home

The train rattled Lorelei, shaking what bit of sleep she still had in her body; and she wasn't sure she could sleep without dreaming of home, and seeing memories she didn't wish to see. But the scenery passing by in a blur had been enough to distract her at least.

Idly she couldn't help but wonder what had changed, if her home was still the same, if her father had changed. 

On occasion she would receive letters from him, sometimes from her aunt, and others from her traveling uncle. She had cousins in the area but they were also away for schooling. Lorelei realized that it would probably just be her and her father in the manor. 

She had hoped that her employer would understand that she had to leave and that Jenny would take care of things at home. 

Her mind then wandered to Lukan and his family...they were a traveler family so would they still be there? Or would they be gone from there? Would they be traveling to other parts of the world. 

"One day we shall travel together."

She closed her eyes at the memory of these words. That was what she had told him last time, and it was after he had asked her to come with him; they were young back then, she was 14 and he was 17 nearly 18 at the time. 

But then other things had interfered with their plans - she still wasn't quite sure what had happened, only that for a whole month he had been gone, only to return and shut her out. 

Lukan had told her that she didn't belong with him, and that had hurt so much. She had wanted to know what she had done wrong for him to turn on her like that. Why hadn't he explained to her? Why hadn't he talked to her? Or even tried?

She had tried to write to him, send him a message through his sister, Arina, but he never answered her. 

Finally she had begged Arina to pass on the message to have them meet at their favorite hiding spot; some old ruins they used to play in as children. She had gone there and waited for him, but he never came. 

At first she had wondered if Arina had even told him, but then realized why she wouldn't have? Arina was her friend too, and they always got along well, so she wouldn't have kept it secret. 

It had finally dawned on her that Lukan was no longer interested in a friendship with her, which only made her cry the whole night over it. The next morning, the previous night's events had strengthed her resolve to leave her home and everything behind. 

She had begged her father to send her overseas to school - either for that reason, or to see more of the world, or to make an advantageous match with someone. Although her first heartbreak had kept her from pursuing any sort of courtships, that she resolved to try and make her own way in the world. 

Lorelei wondered if he remembered that promise still? Or if he remembered or even thought of her even once? 

Her work had served as a great distraction for herself and to occupy her time, though rare it was for a woman to earn her own keep, it was something she enjoyed, and Jenny had been great company for her.

And now here she was returning home to where there always seemed to be a dark cloud looming over all of them. 

Amidst the storms that occurred, there always seemed to be a storm that hung over her home, that never quite seemed to ignite, and was always on the precipse of just beginning, and the foreboding feeling inside of her told her that when it would happen it would be the worst storm she ever experienced. For now this was only the calm before the storm...and Lorelei felt like this train was taking her right into the very center and heart of it. 

The trolley carrier came by with the refreshments for the long journey which Lorelei paid for and ate on the journey as the sky started to grow dark, so for the remainder of the time, she spent it reading.

It was finally too dark that she had closed and locked the door of her train cart and changed before reclining back into the folded bedding from the seat the train provided, and turned off the light.

She let herself close her eyes and let herself drift into the fog of sleep.

Lorelei's feet carried her as fast as she could run through the field away from her home and to where she knew Lukan would be waiting for her. The basket she was carrying was swaying back and forth.

Why did there have to be a hill to run up just to get here? 

Ah well, it didn't matter, Lukan and his family were back from their travels!

He and his family along with the other travelers had just gotten back and he promised that he would let her know when they were back – she wondered if he brought her back anything~

Lukan always came with such incredible treats and gifts for her and she in turn would always share the goods she baked for him and his family. They had always enjoyed whenever she would bring something for them and were delighted in her company.

Their friendship was on that had delighted Lukan's parents.

"You finally made it," his young voice called out to her sharply, as he poked his curly messy head out from behind the stone walls of the ruins.

Lorelei panted as she skidded to a stop, her dress probably stained from the grass she was running through, "Well, I was bringing you a gift, and this place is uphill," she protested.

The older boy grinned at her, before jogging over to her to pull her into a hug against his tall gangly but lean form, "I am only teasing," he laughed, "And you don't have to bring me something every time," he insisted.

Lorelei laughed with him hugging him back with a free arm, "I know but I wanted to," she admitted feeling her cheeks turn a bright pink.

Speaking which~ "Did you bring me anything," she asked with a giggle.

Lukan laughed brushing aside some of his curls and reached into the pocket of his trousers, "You know I did. I always do," he grinned at her toothily and pulled out a beautiful hair pin adorned with small decorative seashells and a pearl in the middle of it, "I saw this and it reminded me of you," he said his face flushing slightly.

He had figured that girls liked these sort of things. And judging by how her face lit up she did, which made his smile grow, "I love it!" She declared loudly and lurching forward to kiss his cheek. 

His tanned cheeks flushed even more at that, "Want me to help you put it on," he asked her, hoping he didn't come off as shy. 

Lorelei nodded happily and eagerly turning around for him, and brushing her hair back to help him, "Thank you Luke," she bounced on her feet with joy. 

She felt his hands slide into her hair as he slid the pin in pushing aside some of her hair, "It looks pretty," he murmured to her.

Right in that moment Lorelei felt pretty, from the pin, and his words...in fact in that moment she felt like she was floating and warm, and it was starting in her chest...

In that moment she felt...

Lorelei jerked awake as the cart rattled, rousing her from sleep. She decided to rise early, and dressed herself in the dark blue travel dress and coat suitable for travel and made sure her bag was packed again. 

She had a feeling that she would reach Rousier sometime soon. And soon it would be time to face the past...