009

Alex's apartment building feels like the eeriest building on the street. Considering how small our town is, his apartment building isn't very big, only two floors high and loft apartments where you can cook in the same room you sleep in.

I get closer to the car park, spying Alex's jeep in the park where I left it. The closer I get to his place, the more nervous I get. Some part of me hopes that I'll get there and he'll be fine, totally normal. But, this is the real world, and the real world isn't fair.

That's how people like my Dad, who used to buy me the expensive ice cream I liked after every training session and people like my mum who read me bedtime stories every night end up dead in their own kitchen. It's how they end up as unsolved murders for anyone with a podcast to dissect like they know them at all.

Alex will turn, I know that. I know that because it's what always happens in this world. I cover my eyes with the delusion of hunting tipping the scales, but it doesn't.

I can't kill Alex.

I step up to the locked door of the building, scanning it for a way in. I take the blade from its holder, lining it up with the lock on the door to try and jam the metal in and unlock the door manually.

"Watch out," Thomas warns, gently pushing me to the side before pushing on the door lightly. The doors snap apart, the lock mechanism hitting the ground with a large metal clang as Thomas steps through the open door casually.

He turns over his shoulder, winking at me before nodding his head for me to follow after.

"Show off," Levi grumbles behind me, following me into the building and letting the glass door shut behind him.

We reach the elevator on the ground level that takes you to the two apartment levels, stopping at the silver doors to look at each other.

"So, what's the plan?" Levi asks, rocking back and forth on his feet as I reach over and press the button to the second apartment floor.

"You guys wait here and I'll bring him down," I explain with a shrug, keeping my eyes on my smudged reflection in the elevator doors.

"Are you sure you wanna do that?" Thomas asks, tucking his hands in his pockets