Chapter 6: Despair

Grey walked quickly, pulling the scarfed boy by the wrist, practically dragging him along.

"Prin- Grey, I think we can slow down." Oaken suggested. "The guards are probably far enough that we can rest." But the suggestion fell on deaf ears, Grey didn't slow down, nor did he want to. Because he knew that if he were caught, then it's all over. He'd be found out and never allowed to be by himself again.

The duo crossed cold rivers and carefully slid down slopes. Grey's feet started to get sore, so he led Oaken to a bundle of bushes, perfect size for two children to hide under. Now, this was the proper spot to rest.

"Where... where are we going again?" The brown haired boy asked.

"The Stitched Castle. I want to find at least a clue on where Stitches and T. Bur went." Grey explained. "If we find those two, we find Green Boots and Elizabeth."

"Wish they at least left us a hint to where they're going." The brown-haired boy panted. "Then again, those two probably didn't plan on or want anyone following them."

"They left... thinking they could do it themselves. But they've been gone for nearly a year!" Grey added. His face was slowly getting more pained. As Oaken spoke about how Stitches and T. Bur could find Mouse and Elizabeth by themselves. As Grey's mind spiraled further and further into despair. Doubt started to outweigh his hope. Maybe he can't find them.

"Grey...?" The disguised princess didn't respond. "Hey, we'll find-"

"IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME!!!" Grey finally snapped. "If... if I had taken Elizabeth, Green Boots wouldn't have gone missing... They would have... But why them? Of all people... why did it have to be them..." Grey's hands started to shake along with his voice.

Not knowing what else to do, Oaken held on to Grey's hands. "You would've been the one who was lost. Now, I may not know or remember what happened between you guys, but what I am absolutely certain of, is that those two are safe and alive."

"How could you know that...?" Grey asked between sobs.

"Because like you, I have complete faith that they're okay. And you losing faith like this doesn't match who you are." Oaken said. "This isn't like you! Not too long ago, you were determined to find the Masked Kid and Elizabeth. You can't give up now!"

Grey felt like she was slapped in the face from what Oaken said. "Y-you're right..." He sobbed. "I'm sorry... I'm just... so tired..." He was indeed tired, not just tired of waiting, but also physically exhausted. He just rested his head on his knees. Oaken rubbed Grey's back to comfort her.

The brown-haired boy looked around one more time to make sure that they weren't being followed. Knights would probably have search dogs hunting them down. Oaken looked for a path that would guarantee a secure hiding place. However, this led him to fall into an unexpected hole with a yelp.

"Oak?" Grey looked around and fell in the same hole his friend fell in. He fell with a reactive squeal, but at a certain point, he felt gravity shift as a trapdoor opened up.

"Where are we...?" Oaken asked.

Grey blinked a few times as memories flooded back. "We're in the old minions shortcut!" The dark-haired child motioned for Oaken to follow.

An aminoguana looking at a clipboard marched through the halls. The three bumped into each other.

"Be careful, young ones!" He grumbled.

"Oh, sorry, Francis!" Grey apologized as he helps the old lizard up.

"It's fine, just be careful, masked... princess..." Francis was about to say 'kid' but he quickly changed the word and tone, upon seeing the young princess' face. "Sorry, it's late, and you kids should get some rest. There's some space in the apartments if you wanna sleep. Children like you two need as much rest as you can get. Again, sorry for bumping in to you."

"It's alright, I wasn't paying attention." Grey laughed. Now that Frankie mentioned it, he and Oaken were getting tired. He looked at the elevator and lead the brown haired boy there and pressed the first button. The two waited in silence as the elevator slowly descended. Once the doors opened the two walked out and headed to the left. Grey opens the door marked 1-A, and Oaken heads to the door marked 1-B.

"Good night, Grey." Oaken smiled.

"Night." Grey responded. He shut the door behind him. "Hope you don't mind me using your room, green boots. I have to be at my best to find you and Elizabeth." He looked around the room, there wasn't much in the way of decorations. There were a few posters, and some hoodies hanging from a steel rack, and shoes just piled underneath.

The sheets on the bed were tossed to the side, as the last time the owner of this room was here, they were on their way to battle Grey from a letter falsely signed by Stitches. Looking back, he did feel bad for tricking them and nearly killing them. Grey finally laid down on the bed, feeling pained but hopeful. With a tear roll down his face, he shut his eyes, and finally fell asleep.