THE JOURNEY FROM PLATFORM NINE AND THREE-QUARTERS

After they finished eating, Hagrid helped Hayley on to the train that would take her back to the Dursleys, then handed her an envelope. "Yer ticket fer Hogwarts," he said. "First o' September -- King's Cross -- it's all on yer ticket. Any problems with the Dursleys, send me a letter with yer owl, she'll know where to find me.... See yeh soon, Hayley." The train pulled out of the station. Hayley wanted to watch Hagrid until he was out of sight; she rose in her seat and pressed her nose against the window, but she blinked and Hagrid had gone. 

"Wait, he didn't tell her how to get to the platform" Rose gasped, making her friends groan in frustration, "Sorry" Hagrid muttered embarrassed, "Its okay, you didn't mean to" Hayley comforted Hagrid, "And, I got on train fine, so don't worry" she told her family.

Hayley's last month with the Dursleys wasn't fun. True, Vernon and Petunia were now so scared of Hayley they wouldn't stay in the same room, they didn't shut Hayley in her cupboard, force her to do anything, or shout at her -- in fact, they didn't speak to her at all. Half terrified, half furious, they acted as though any chair with Hayley in it were empty. Although this was an improvement in many ways. Only Dudley treated her like she was a normal human being. He was so happy for her when she told him about her trip to Diagon Alley, though she didn't mention, Voldemort or her being famous. A night before her train to Hogwarts, she requested Vernon to drop her to Kings Cross station, he refused at first, but agreed immediately, when she said that she'd just ask Hagrid to pick her up. Giggling, she went to her bed. Hayley woke at five o'clock the next morning and was too excited and nervous to go back to sleep. She got up and pulled on her jeans because she didn't want to walk into the station in her wizard's robes -- she'd change on the train. She checked her Hogwarts list yet again to make sure she had everything she needed, saw that her owl, whom she decided to name Hedwig, was shut safely in her cage, and then paced the room, waiting for the Dursleys to get up. 

Two hours later, Hayley's huge, heavy trunk had been loaded into the Dursleys' car, and they had set off. They reached King's Cross at half past ten. Uncle Vernon dumped Hayley's trunk onto a cart and wheeled it into the station for her. Hayley thought this was strangely kind until Uncle Vernon stopped dead, facing the platforms with a nasty grin on his face. "Well, there you are, girl. Platform nine -- platform ten. Your platform should be somewhere in the middle, but they don't seem to have built it yet, do they?" He was quite right, of course. There was a big plastic number nine over one platform and a big plastic number ten over the one next to it, and in the middle, nothing at all. "Have a good term," said Uncle Vernon with an even nastier smile. He left without another word. Hayley turned and saw Vernon drive away.

"WHAT! HE LEFT YOU THERE" James seethed, "Petunia knows how to get on platform nine and three quarters, she was there when I first used it" Lily yelled angrily, outraged she knew Petunia hated her, but she didn't ever imagined that Petunia would stoop so low, that she'll abuse, her daughter.   

Hayley's mouth went rather dry. What on earth was she going to do? She was starting to attract a lot of funny looks, because of Hedwig. She stopped a passing guard, but didn't dare mention platform nine and three-quarters. The guard had never heard of Hogwarts and when Hayley couldn't even tell him what part of the country it was in, he started to get annoyed, as though Hayley was being stupid on purpose. Getting desperate, Hayley asked for the train that left at eleven o'clock, but the guard said there wasn't one. In the end the guard strode away, muttering about time wasters. Hayley was now trying hard not to panic. According to the large clock over the arrivals board, she had ten minutes left to get on the train to Hogwarts and she had no idea how to do it; she was stranded in the middle of a station with a trunk she could hardly lift, a pocket full of wizard money, and a large owl. She wondered if she should get out her wand and start tapping the ticket inspector's stand between platforms nine and ten. At that moment a group of people passed just behind her and she caught a few words of what they were saying. "Merlin! I can't believe I'm finally going to Hogwarts" she heard a young boy, with round shaped face, speak cheerfully.