Derek's Doubts [Season 6] [New]

Derek had been enjoying his life on Sodor but he craved new things to do. He had been working hard at the quarry all year and the days all felt the same sometimes.

His chance came very soon.

"I was going to get James to pull the slow goods train tomorrow but he's broken down," The Fat Controller said to him one evening, "Could you do it, Derek?"

"Oh, yes Sir!" oiled Derek proudly.

The next day, Derek was having a wonderful time. The beautiful greenery and the sound of the birds singing made a lovely change from the stone cliffs and loud noises at the quarry.

However, Derek didn't get to enjoy his day for much longer; he was approaching Gordon's Hill.

As he struggled to climb it, he suddenly felt funny.

"Argh!" he cried, "My engine is overheating!"

His driver fought to get him over the hill but it was no use. He came to a stop.

After a while, The Fat Controller arrived on board Edward.

"Well, old faithful," The Fat Controller said to Edward, "do you think you can take the train from here? Derek here is going to be in the repair yard for a while."

Derek stared at the ground, defeated.

Luckily, Derek's time in the repair yard flew by and when he was ready to leave, he felt better than ever.

"Your engine has had quite the overhaul, I hear," said his driver, "you shouldn't be overheating again anytime soon!"

Derek wasn't so optimistic.

"I don't want to take the risk," he said.

Duck, who was also in the repair yard, gave him a disapproving look.

"You can't just opt out of work, Derek," he puffed, "if Sir Topham Hatt gives you a job and you have to go over Gordon's Hill again to do it, that is what you'll have to do."

"Pah," snorted Derek.

"I can show everyone just how useful I can be and not once have to go over a hill," the big diesel said to himself as he made his way to Wellsworth Station to do some shunting.

When he got there, the station master looked worried.

"Edward has stalled on Gordon's Hill," he told Derek.

"Not Edward!" gasped Derek. Edward took his train for him the day he broke down. If there was any engine who didn't deserve to get stuck on that hill, it was Edward. "Is another engine coming to help?"

"We're trying to find one," said the station master.

"I'll help!" said Derek boldly. He started towards the hill.

"It should be fine," soothed his driver.

Derek started to panic. He didn't stop, though.

As Derek made his way up the hill, he spotted the back of Edward's train.

"Don't worry, Edward!" he wobbled as he buffered up to the break van, "I'm here to help!"

"Alright, Derek," called Edward, a smile creeping across his face, "one, two, three, heave!"

Derek pushed for all he was worth. Edward pulled as hard as he could. The train was heavy. Derek wondered for a moment if it would be impossible to get it moving.

Little by little, though, the train started rolling forwards. The two engines fought to get closer to the top of the hill. The train gradually sped up. Soon, it was rolling almost at a good pace.

"Come...on!" strained Derek.

With one final heave, he got the train to the stop of the hill.

Mere seconds later, Edward was on his way down the other side.

The station master was pleased when Derek got back.

"Good job. Right, off to work then," he said before turning and walking away.

As Derek went to start shunting, his driver whispered, "Well done! I know that was a big deal for you. You pushed through!"

Derek smiled and said, "Well, I didn't overheat. Maybe I was being irrational after all. Off to work, I suppose."

The big diesel knew his day was only getting started and that filled him with excitement.