Aemond turned to her, soft and ready to give her anything she asked of him. "We had a long journey. Is it time to retire, my wife?"

Liliyana could only smile and nod.

Aemond stood and pushed out her chair. With delicate fingers, he steadied her to her feet.

"My lord!" A knight called from around the corner. "Another dragon has made landing outside."

"Another?" Lord Boros repeated. He looked to Aemond for answers.

"We came alone." His smile became venomous."It must be the usurper."

"It was a young boy on dragon-back."

Aemond let go of Liliyana. "Then we should see what he wants."

~

Liliyana stood behind her husband, who insisted on acting as a shield. But she had no reason to fear.

Lucerys strolled inside, out from the storm. Liliyana heard the thunder booming as they entered the throne room.

A pit the size of a boulder formed in her stomach.

"Lord Borros," Lucerys began. "I've brought you a message from my mother... The queen."

"Yet earlier this day I received an envoy from the king. Which is it?" Lord Borros smirked. "King or queen? The House of the Dragon does not seem to know who rules it." The man chuckled. Gone was his temporary sweetness from earlier.

It seemed her could not read, and needed the maester's help. The old man whispered in Lord Borros' ear, and it only served to chill the room further.

"Aemond," Liliyana whispered.

Her husband's head slightly cocked sideways.

"Let us retire. I am tired." And she still needed to confront the man. But he was now energized as a baby dragon. There would be no room in his heart for her accusing words tonight. But what if sex could persuade him? It had only been once, surely he could not say no to that. Then, afterwards, she'd wait until her was the most vulnerable to ask.

"'Remind me of my father's oath," Lord Borros said. "The king at least came with an offer: wed one of my daughters off to his son in exchange for my swords and banners. If I do as your mother bids, which one of my daughters will you wed, boy?"

"I am not free to marry," Lucerys confessed. "I am already betrothed."

"So you come with empty hands... Go home, pup. And tell your mother that the Lord of Storm's End is not some dog she can whistle up at need to set against her foes."

The boy's frown had Liliyana take a step forward. He noticed, and gave her a sad smile before turning to leave.

"Wait," came Aemond's voice. "My Lord Strong."

Lucerys returned, hand on the hilt of his blade. Liliyana took another step forward and tugged her husband's jacket. He was tense, solid as stone as he stared down this little boy.

"Did you really think," her husband continued, "that you could just fly about the realm trying to steal my brother's crown at no cost?

"I will not fight you... I came as a messenger, not a warrior." He looked once again at Liliyana. "I believe lady Liliyana is trying to get your attention. She must be tired after such a long trek. I know she is fearful of riding dragon-back."

"My wife is of no concern to you--especially not after that dinner where you nearly harmed her." Aemond was surprisingly calm. It unnerved her greatly. "Besides...a fight would be of little challenge. No." He removed his eyepatch. "I want you to put out your eye... As repayment for mine. And for my wife's life."

"Aemond--"

"One will serve." He unhooked his jacket and tossed a spare dagger between them. "I would not blind you. Plan to make a gift of it to my mother."

"No."

"Then you are craven as well as a traitor."

"Not here!" Lord Borros had enough.

"Give me your eye!" Aemond launched himself forward like a snake. "Or I will take it, bastard!" He scooped up his discarded dagger.

Lord Borros stood. "Not in my hall!"

Aemond stopped, dagger extended and ready.

Liliyana's heart beated wildly. This was not a side of Aemond she ever witnessed. Who was this man?

"The boy came as an envoy! I'll not have bloodshed beneath my roof... Take Prince Lucerys back to his dragon. Now."

The boy sheathed his sword and returned outside with the knights escorting him.

In a flash, Aemond turned to face her. "My love." His hand cupped her cheek while the other reminded at his side, clenched, holding the dagger. His one eye maniacally searched her face. "You are alright?"

"Aemond," she whispered. "Let us go to bed."

He bent her head to kiss her forehead. His breath tickled her skin. "You go. I must make things right."

Liliyana gripped his departing hand. "Promise me you will not harm him."

Aemond squeezed her hand and brought it up to his lips. "I promise you."

He then left, outside into the pouring rain and lightning-filled night.

Liliyana spent the remainder of the evening waiting for him, unable to stop the growing sense of unease from blooming in her chest. It was not until the sun streaked through the clouds did her husband return, bashing through the door like a bull.

He was drenched. Eyepatch back in his spot and lungs heaving with little air.

"Aemond?" Liliyana sat up in bed. "What happened? Are you alright."

"We must go back. Now." He lifted her off the bed and onto her feet. "You are already packed and ready for Vhagar."

Liliyana managed to let go of his hand. "Stop! What happened, Aemond. Tell me."

He stilled, unable to look her in the eye. "Lucerys is dead."

Author's Note:

The weight of this story is off my shoulders, yippie!! (for a few more months at least)

See everyone in the summer for season 2 🥰