Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

Liliyana felt eyes at her back.

The trip to King's Landing took the better part of the day and there were still miles to go.

"It's a shame your visit was cut short, my lady," Daemon said, finally coming to stand beside her. She had a feeling it was him looking. She caught his eyes last night at dinner several times. He was dissecting her. Wondering how a naive and sickeningly innocent girl like Liliyana Lannister could be married to Aemond One-Eye Targaryen. The boy's prowess reached Dragonstone over the years. Including his obsession with his new wife. What kind of magic did she use to make the boy behave like a newborn hatchling in her presence?

"Yes, my prince. I wished to have stayed longer."

"I was hoping to ask you about my brother. I understand you have been taking care of him."

"O-oh, yes, I read to him at times and assist with his meals." During her stay in the capitol, Liliyana and the king grew close. He was a kind man. She liked to believe he also saw her the same. She would never admit so out loud, but he became something of a father-figure to her. "It is the least I can do."

An unknown emotion streaked past the prince's eyes. It made Liliyana shudder. She felt the need to suddenly protect herself.

Yelling from the crew signaled their approach. Daemon left the poor girl and she managed to breathe once she knew he was out of earshot.

She shared the carriage with the prince and princess, despite offering to find her own.

"Don't be silly, Liliyana," Rhaenerya told her. "You are family."

Liliyana quivered her lips to smile. "Thank you, princess."

The princess leaned forward to grasp the girl's hands. "You will call me Rhaenerya. That's an order, Liliyana."

Beside her, Daemon watched the exchange in silence.

"Okay, prin--Rhaenerya."

"You remind me so much of Luke. Both so sweet."

Don't let Aemond let you hear that. It suddenly dawned on Liliyana that Rhaenerya did not know how Aemond despised the boy. And how would she? She'd been living away for so long.

Liliyana bid her farewells when they exited the carriage. She wanted to see Aemond. To maybe...convince him to behave. Surely he already knew his nephews were coming. Worry sprouted in her gut.

But finding him proved harder than normal. He was not in his quarters. When she knocked, there was no answer. She asked a nearby maid, but she had also not seen her husband. Liliyana did not want to admit she also wanted to see Aemond because of her desires. He bid her farewell before leaving, but that was all.

Gods, he became handsomer the more times she saw him. And after losing her innocence to him, the effect magnified.

"You bled," he had told her in the morning. He sat beside the bed, watching her like a guard dog. "I was not as gentle as I wished to be."

Liliyana sat up, pulling the comforter with her. His eye turned to the floor, as if ashamed to look at her. "Aemond, it can happen. Do not blame yourself."

Still keeping his eye from looking anywhere but her, he reached behind him. On a table sat a steaming bowl of water and a rag. "For you. I read that it can help with the pain."

Liliyana did not know what possessed her from crawling to him, naked and throbbing between her legs. She cupped his strong jaw and forced him to look at her. Guilt pooled in his eye and she thought her husband might cry. Her fingers smoothed out his frown and tight cheek. "You were perfect, Aemond. Most men care precious little when taking a woman for the first time."