Epilogue

By C.B. Mokedi

Charlotte smiled at her reflection in the mirror. The little green flowers on her dress really brought out the color of her eyes today. The gold crescent moon pendant was a nice addition. She had bought it just yesterday. Charlotte couldn't remember the last time she had shopped for some novel things like this.

After Greyson passed away, his silver cross was all she needed.

"I know you would approve, Grey," Charlotte mumbled before grabbing her purse from the hook.

"Can't forget this." She ran to the kitchen and grabbed a tray of coconut meringue pie from the fridge. Rose was a gifted cook, but for some reason, her talent didn't transcend to baking. Allison couldn't cook to save her life.

The thought of these two sisters put a smile on Charlotte's face.

Today was Rose and Allison's dad, Mr. Osbourne's birthday. Despite the old man's protest, he had finally lost and begrudgingly agreed with his daughters to have a small dinner with just "people I know." "But you could bring a plus one," Allison had added with a wink when she told Charlotte about the dinner.

Charlotte thought it was only reasonable to invite Stephen after how much he had helped her.

Greyson's memorial had taken shape—much better than Charlotte could ever hope for. Initially, she had planned on only ordering a garden stone with Greyson's name on it from a website as her psychiatrist had suggested, but Stephen, after learning about it, had insisted that he could do the laser carving himself since he had the machine. He even helped Allison and Rose haul flower plants to the valley where they put the memorial underneath the oak tree.

A text appeared on her phone screen: "I'm almost there." Charlotte smiled and fixed her hair before sitting down by the dining table.

Stephen was always on time. He had said he would pick her up today because her cabin was on the way, but Charlotte doubted it. Her cabin was not on the way to anything.

She wondered what he would wear today.

The sunset flooded in, painting everything in sight a shade of orange, the last glory of the day. It had been three months since her hospital stay and the completion of an inpatient program. Since she'd started focusing more on counseling and taking better care of herself, Charlotte was able to recognize how quiet it was—the mountains, her cabin, and her mind.

The faint car engine came closer and closer before it stopped right outside her door. Charlotte lifted her head at the three courteous knocks.

"One second!" She shouted and winced at her own echo. It was loud.

"No rush." Stephen's voice muffled through the door.

Charlotte grabbed her purse and the pie before rushing to the foyer.

"Sorry." She scrambled with all her belongings plus her beast of a keychain while trying not to step on Stephen's foot.

"Let me help you with this." He lifted the pie out of her hands. "You look beautiful."

"Haha, thanks. You do too...I mean, you look good yourself."

Stephen laughed while scratching his head. His face took a peachy shade. Out of a corner of her eye Charlotte thought she saw something and paused.

Right under her planter, three stones lay neatly in a line. She came closer and kneeled to pick them up. One of them was black while the other two were russet, but they were exactly the same size. The cross patterns inside of them were distinctive.

"Did you see this?" She turned to Stephen.

"What is it?" He looked confused.

Charlotte stared at the three fairy stones in her palm and smiled. "A gift, I think."

The End

WC: 602

WC Total: 21626