Chapter Seven

Written by C.B. Mokedi

It had been raining all day. The sky was gray and unforgiving. Occasionally, Charlotte heard a bolt of thunder or saw a flash of lightning outside her window. It was honestly a long-anticipated change from the previous scorching weeks for the whole region. She personally hoped the rain would last.

Charlotte reached for the brown paper bag and looked inside. Two bars of chocolate wrapped in fun, colorful printing made her salivate. Cookie and Cream, so innocent, but right under it was Magic Mushroom Blend.

Charlotte had tried marijuana in college. Psychedelic mushrooms, on the other hand, were a completely new frontier. One she didn't know if she should venture in. Her parents would raise their eyebrows sky-high if they saw her even touch these.

"Try this," the note on the brown bag said, "1-3 squares at a time ONLY!" sign with an A and a smiley face. Charlotte sighed. Allison had dropped them in front of her cabin yesterday after banging on her door like a mad woman for ten minutes. She didn't know why she dodged her friend—the only friend she had in Helen, but she knew she shouldn't see Allison or any human being in this stage of her grief.

Allison would never give her something bad or harmful. Charlotte tore the chocolate wrap and broke two squares. She flipped them back and forth, staring at the black pattern that the cookie crumbs made on the white chocolate background. She had the same feelings as someone who was about to step through a galactic portal or jump off a cliff. It wouldn't be so different. Charlotte shrugged and broke another two squares from the chocolate bar and chucked everything into her mouth.

She skimmed through the nutritional values on the back of the chocolate bar while chewing before leaning back and closing her eyes. Charlotte hoped something would happen, fast, but nothing did. She waited a few more seconds before sitting straight up and scrolling her mouse.

Charlotte had learned all the sites on this first page of search results by heart. She had read all the articles and blogs, watched all the videos, and listened to all the podcasts. At this point, it seemed that she knew everything.

"Appalachian Tidbits, hello again," Charlotte mumbled while clicking a purple-colored link.

At the same time, her phone vibrated on the table, flashing Allison's name and face.

Ping. Pick up now! As if her friend was right there screaming at her.

Ping. Are you gonna pick up or what?

Ping. What are you doing?

Ping. Did you try the chocolate? Good, isn't it?

Ping. Fine, at least let me know if you want fig pie at the farmers market. It opens today.

Charlotte sighed and turned her phone off. She threw another square of chocolate into her mouth and emptied the cold caffeinated contents of her mug. She burped loudly while setting the mug aside. Her eyes and throat burned. Her heart and mind—even worse.

The laptop screen blinked as if it was possessed. Time for you to retire, Charlotte traced the screen's edge. Greyson had bought it refurbished as a gift when she went back to college for her second degree.

Day drinking was never part of her future plan. It was never part of anything until Greyson was gone. No point crying over spilled milk now, but Charlotte wanted to.

She forced herself to read the article she had read no less than twenty times before slamming her laptop shut. Enough.

Charlotte turned to the view outside her window. The rain had slowed down. Everything was of a lush green color. It burned into her retina.