It was a sobering reminder of why I was doing this with Lisa. Pretending to be something I wasn’t.

It was for her.

I wiped my eyes, and headed back to the condo.

---

When I opened the door, Lisa met me with a scowl on her face.

“Where were you? You have an appointment!”

I drew in a deep breath and counted to ten. “Good morning to you, too, Lisa. It’s only ten. My appointment is at eleven. I have plenty of time.”

She ignored my greeting.

“Why didn’t you answer your phone? I called. You didn’t take your car, either.”

“I visited Penny. The home she is in is close, so I walked.”

Reaching over, she tugged on the small canvas I had clutched to my torso. “What is this?”

My grasp was ineffectual, and she held the painting in her hands, studying it.

“You aren’t hanging this crap in here.”

I swallowed the bitterness in my throat. “I wouldn’t dream of it. I was going to put it in my room.”

She pushed the small canvas back at me. “Whatever.” She walked away, glancing over her shoulder. “Your clothes arrived. I put them in the closet in your room and left the bags on the bed. Burn whatever you’re wearing now. I don’t want to see it any longer.”

Then she disappeared.

Later that afternoon, when I returned to the condo, I felt like a different person. I had been buffed, scrubbed, and waxed within an inch of my life. My hair had been washed with some body infusing shampoo, conditioned, cut and layered, then blown dry so it hung in long, luxurious waves down my back. Once my makeup was done, I barely recognized myself. My eyes looked huge, my mouth full and pouty, my skin like porcelain. I hurried upstairs and slipped into the new lingerie and dress Nicha and I had picked out for the afternoon; she told me it was perfect. Off-white with a flowered overlay, it was pretty and floaty, and it looked like summer. The low-heeled sandals were comfortable, and I was sure I could stay upright.

I took in a deep breath as my nerves began to tighten.

It was time to see if Lisa agreed.

Impatiently, I drummed my fingers on the counter

Impatiently, I drummed my fingers on the counter. I heard the tapping of heels and turned my head, the glass I was about to drink from freezing part way to my mouth.