Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I was feeling guilty the whole night, knowing I should say something instead of just hiding, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I starred outside at the rain, still hiding in the building as I drifted off to sleep.

 “Is it a mutant…?”

“Of course it is, Hailey! What else would it be?”

At the sound of voices outside, I jumped straight up, the adrenaline in my veins making my head spin as I stood up. As my vision focused, I saw the two girls looking at me, Hailey gripping Cassandra around the waste as she waited for her sister’s orders on what to do. I was scared about what would happen next, but my body didn’t shake, and I showed no evidence that I was a bit worried. I’d changed a lot since my parents were dragged off; I was a lot stronger. And I knew it.

All three of us starred at the other for quite some time, not knowing which action to take first. I had delt with mutants that wouldn’t think twice about cutting my throat, but these two seemed to neither recognize my form, and they didn’t even try to attack. They seemed confused. They must’ve learned by now to run away from other mutants, or else they wouldn’t still be alive. So what was keeping them here?

“Can I help you?” I mustered up the question, still standing my ground. I was hoping and praying they wouldn’t recognize my voice either. I was never good at faking my voice to sound like something else.

“Aren’t you going to try and run us off this building? Come at us with some kind of weapon you picked off of the streets or from the hands of someone you’ve killed? Anything of that sort?” Cassandra whispered, hammering me with questions that seemed logical, considering the world’s situation. I couldn’t help but snort at her curiosity though.

“What? What’s that for?” She had obviously heard my low response. I looked back up at her. It was then I realized they were in their human forms, and I was still in my animal mutant transformation. This didn’t feel right to me, so I closed my eyes as my body shifted. When I opened them I felt my head, making sure it had occurred before turning to them again. If they didn’t recognize me in my animal form, they sure as hell wouldn’t be able to now. I can usually be spotted from a mile away, what with my messy, layered blonde hair and bright green eyes. My blonde hair always stuck out among my black outfit of black buckled jeans and jacket. I had no intentions of changing my style. It told people I wasn’t a force to be reckoned with, and that I was mostly a loner.

I felt briefly for my dagger that was attached to one of the belts. With it I could easily heal myself if I needed to, or quickly sense if any other bodies were around. Other than these two, I sensed nothing.

“She is a mutant!” cried Hailey, pointing her little finger at me. Cassandra brought her hand back to her side, “Yes, yes, I already told you that.”

‘This is working. They really didn’t know who I am. Let’s keep it that way for as long as we can, shall we?’ I thought to myself. I soon decided to figure out some of their background story.

“So, you never answered me,” I spoke briefly, professionally, “Can I help you with something?”

“Do you have any food?” Hailey blurt out, before Cassandra had time to put her hand over her sister’s mouth.

“Uhm, no thank you, we were just taking shelter up here from the rain last night.”

I looked up at the sky and chuckled, “It’s still raining.”

“Yes, well…-

“And you really call sitting in the rain to be shelter, eh?” I lightly smiled, trying to make some kind of fun remark.