28. A Bait to Lure, a Coupon to Use

Start from the beginning

For the first time in a while, Taehyun recalled how to fold a crane. He also figured out a few efficient methods of using the printer (since no information can be exchanged from it, he was allowed to operate it). And since he wasn't allowed to wander anywhere else apart from the communal office and the pantry, he dusted and rearranged the gaming character figurines on the floating shelves, changed a few broken lightbulbs and even watered and trimmed the bonsai assembly by the windows.

 So this is how our hyung feels keeping the house.

He was thriving on mundane office chores whilst quietly humming the most jolly tunes not just because he didn't have anything better to do but a part of him wanted to let those corporate spies know Kang Taehyun wouldn't budge with a mere accusation stamped on his forehead.

His days as a corporate intern may not be impressive still, he was no greenhorn in society.

By the time people were stretching and yawning, the clock was close to striking seven. Beomgyu had made sure nobody was working late (basically driving them off) and like Taehyun, he anticipated for the time when the shuffling footsteps and chatter on the other side of the door would fade out until he couldn't hear them.

As soon as the room fell dark and silent with only two of them in the common area, distinct knocks sounded on the door. Without Beomgyu having to grant the permission, the person made his way in with a sunny disposition in contrast to the unpleasant one he sported this morning.

Taehyun and Beomgyu shared a glance to dispose their plan of going over to Hoseok's office.

 "Ah. Before you say anything, why don't we go inside my office, just in case."

Hoseok nodded to Beomgyu's advice with a knowing look.

Beomgyu could only trust his office because he was rooted to it the whole day, even inspecting the intercom and sweeping his hands over the walls and under every furniture occasionally to check for hidden *bugs and wires.

[*listening devices]

Taehyun followed close to the two superiors, sliding the door shut. The noirette motioned them to take a seat at the sleek, minimalistic table likely to be designated for quick meetings before he went over the windows to close the blinds.

 "First, in case he hasn't," Hoseok shifted his gaze from Beomgyu to the intern as he sat down at the head of the table, "On Leader Choi's behalf, I thank you for playing along despite the short notice. It must be hard for you."

 What are you? My father? Beomgyu almost couldn't resist the itch to roll his eyes, taking a seat opposite to the intern.

 Taehyun, having taken a liking to the diplomatic senior, accepted his gratitude with a civil smile. "Not at all. I was only doing what you've asked me to."

 "This is going as planned. They took the bait and turned you into their scapegoat again." Eyes harboring an unfathomable gleam, the noirette ran his fingertips over his bottom lip. "Though it is indeed petty to pit against two teams, I would play like this too if I were the spies, for double insurance."

Assessing the superior's face, which still seemed to be asking for a proper punch as the cut on his lips healed too soon, Taehyun wondered if this was where the term 'Game recognizes game' applied.