♤ Chapter 6 ♤

Yuki and Grim were walking around the campus, cleaning equipment in hand, after finishing their breakfast, discovering the place at the same time. They stood at a distance from each other, not speaking. However, the blond looked around, surprised by the normality of the place he was in, which contrasted with what he had seen the day before.

   The duo arrived at an alleyway filled with statues representing various figures, some human, others animal or only half-human.
   -Wow, so this is the main street, eh? Amazing! I didn't get to see much yesterday. Grim exclaimed.
   He looked at the statues, followed by the blond who kept his distance, not daring to approach.
   -What's wrong with these seven statues? All their faces look pretty scary. That woman looks like she's got real anger management problems. he says, carrying a woman with a large body.
   -Haven't you heard of the Queen of Hearts?

   Both were startled and turned towards the voice. In front of them was a red-haired boy with a heart on his face, accompanied by another with bluish hair and a blue spade, both wearing the exact same uniform. Probably Night Raven's.
   -The Queen of Hearts? Is she a bit important? asked Grim.
   -She was a queen who lived in a rose garden in the shape of a labyrinth, a very long time ago. She was a strict woman who valued order above all else. She wouldn't have tolerated a rose being out of colour or her card soldiers being out of phase. Explained the boy.
   -Card soldiers... ? Yuki repeated, surprised and confused. To tell the truth, it was surprising.
   -She ruled over a kingdom of madness, but none of her subjects dared challenge her. Do you want to know why? Because of the punishment! If you broke a rule, you were immediately beheaded.
   -Wah! That's really nonsense! protested the animal.
   -Pretty cool, isn't it? I'm a big fan. Who would bother obeying a queen who was always nice? added the redhead.
   -Yes, that's true. A leader has to be strong.

   The blond blinked several times at the exploitation. And the "Pretty cool".
   -I... Don't see how that's cool but... If it avoids chaos, then it's good... I suppose?
   The redhead laughed a little.
   -By the way, my name's Ace. I've been a first-year student here since... Today! Pleased to meet you! he introduced himself, posing with his hand forming a heart.
   -I'm Grim! I'm a prodigy who plans to become the greatest mage who ever lived. This is my much less interesting henchman.
   At these last words, the man in question sighed, raising his eyes to the sky with a smile.
   -I'm Keiryo Yuki. You can call me Yuki.
   -Yuki ? Huh. That's a strange-sounding name. Nice to meet you.
   -Not a common name here, I guess...

   -By the way, weren't you the two who made a mess of the entrance ceremony? Ace asked.
   They both jumped. It's true that Yuki hadn't helped keep things calm, but he wasn't the one who'd caused the most trouble.
   -I'd have preferred to avoid problems but... Ria nervously.
   -I knew it! The mirror that summons a person without magic is unheard of! It was hard not to laugh! Ria Ace.
   -Don't be so rude to someone you've just met! suddenly intervened the blue one.
   Yuki turned her head towards him with a smile.
   -It's nothing! I'm used to it!

   After a moment's silence, the boy with the spade noticed the cleaning equipment.
   -Have you been hired here? he asked.
   -Well, in a way... Cleaning was the only way Grim could stay here. We'll make sure we study our own way in our spare time.
   The man concerned looked bored.
   -It's just until the school recognises my talent! he explained.
   -I see, that's why you don't wear uniforms! If there's anything you want to know about this school, don't hesitate to ask us. My name is Spade Deuce. Nice to meet you.
   He held out his hand to the blond, who after a moment's hesitation shook it with a smile.

   Ace started to laugh, having been holding back for a while.
   -The one who wants to be the greatest mage who does housework! he said.
   -Myah?!
   The feline looked at the redhead with a very angry expression.
   -You can't be! First of all, only the chosen ones can enter this school. And you didn't get in. So give up.

   There was silence between Yuki and Grim, who gritted his teeth and looked sombre. As for the blond, he blinked several times. The young man with the heart on his face seemed nice, but in the end he apparently wasn't all that nice...
   -Hey! interjected Deuce. Everything you've been since we got here has been rude. Don't you have something to tell them?
   -What would that be? A lesson? Don't be so boring. 
   -You can't treat others like-
   The blue-haired boy couldn't finish his sentence.
   -Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've got class, I'm going.

   Ace started to leave while his classmate seemed embarrassed by the situation. He turned to the duo.
   -I'm sorry, I'll have to go too...
   Then he started to walk away. The cat mumbled a few words before aiming a fireball at the redhead. His partner widened his eyes, not expecting this.
   -Stop that! We're going to get in trouble if you don't! he shouted.
   -I'm not stopping until I've dealt with him!

   The redhead and his comrade managed to narrowly avoid the attack, which passed right between them.
   -Hey! Are you trying to attack me?! exclaimed the victim of the attack.
   -You've made a fool of me! So I'm going to light your exploding hair ! shouted the animal.
   This didn't please the person concerned, who looked very annoyed.
   -Exploding head? You've got a lot of courage to try and beat me!
   Grim prepared to attack. The blond tried to stop him by grabbing him, but he dodged and sent a fireball flying. Ace looked confident and pulled out an object with a bright red stone. Then he sent a gust of wind. Yuki, surprised, shielded himself.

   -My super fire can't end like this! Dammit! snapped the fur ball.
   -How could those little fireballs touch me! his opponent retorted.
   The two sent attacks at each other, attracting the crowd in the process. An attack passed not far from Yuki who recoiled with a surprised cry, losing her balance.
   -Are you alright? Deuce asked.
   -Y-Yeah...
   He helped the blonde up before turning to the fight.
   -Stop that! he ordered.
   But nobody seemed to be listening.

   Having no other choice, he took out of his front pocket the same object Ace had, fitted with the same stone.
   -In that case... I'll just have to block their movement. With ropes? Or I could... Either way! Come on, literally anything! Something heavy!
   At these words a cauldron fell from the sky and landed on Ace. The only boy without magic widened his eyes.
   -What the...?
   -The hell ?! A pot?! cried the victim.
   -A cauldron of all things... Have I gone too far? wondered the culprit.
   The feline laughed at this.
   -So lame!

   The two students started arguing while the animal laughed. Yuki took the opportunity to pounce on him and catch him. And it was precisely because Grim was distracted that he hadn't been able to avoid being caught.
   -Myah?!
   -Stop that right now! You'll be in trouble if you don't!
   -Because you think I'm going to obey a stupid human? the beast retorted. Or should I say, stupid girl? he added more intelligently.
   -I don't know what you're talking about! the man almost panicked.

   The latter lifted his grip slightly in panic, and Grim took the opportunity to escape. He had said that so that he could free himself. He jumped to the ground before launching yet another attack.
   Ace, noticing the attack, freed himself from the cauldron and escaped before deflecting the flames. The flames flew past the onlookers around the group. They avoided them.

   And it was under the gaze of everyone, especially the four involved in the fight, that the statue representing the Queen of Hearts burst into flames.