::Chapter Twelve::

Dating wasn't Colette's speciality. In fact, she'd only been on one date her entire life, and that one involved her dad tagging along. She didn't know what was expected. How should she dress? Act?

Cole ran her fingers around the edges of her phone. Brooke would know what to do. Cole was half-tempted to text her. She missed her best friend. But then the fight would replay in her mind and repeat like it was stuck on a permanent loop, Brooke's demands loud in her ears.

The phone buzzed to life in her hands.

we still on for the date tonight?

She frowned and sent her own message.

how did u get my number?

She hadn't given Hunter her number, insisting instead that they talk the details out in person. So how had he'd gotten it? Only Brooke, her parents, and her current math partner had it.

Her phone buzzed and pulled her out of her thoughts.

doesn't matter. pick you up in ten

Ten? Crap. She wasn't even dressed. What were you supposed to wear to an Open Mic night at a coffee shop?

She stared into her closet, hoping the perfect solution would pop out at her. Sighing and realizing she was losing time, she grabbed a dress she'd only worn once. It was the same shade of blue as her eyes, at least that's what Brooke had said when she gave it to Cole on her birthday. She'd gone through a fashion design stage, and the majority of Cole's clothes were thanks to that.

Cole played with the idea of putting it back, but it was too late to change her mind. The ten minutes were almost up. She slipped the dress on and swiped makeup on her face. She stood in front of her vanity and fingered the water drop necklace. A part of her itched to clasp it around her neck, but another part of her whispered not to.

Before she could make a choice, her phone vibrated in the dress pocket.

I'm here

Nerves bubbled in her stomach, and she looked herself over in the mirror. She smoothed the skirt of her dress. No need to worry, she told herself. It's just a date. Nothing big.

She took a deep breath and forced herself to walk calmly down the stairs and out the door. Thankfully her dad wasn't there, or else he'd be interrogating Hunter.

Hunter's car was parked in front of her house, and the guy himself leaned against the hood in dark jeans and button shirt.

Cole wasn't sure what she expected, maybe for him to stand her up, but relief made it easier for her to breathe when she saw him. He grinned, and heat spiked up Cole's chest. She cursed as her feet decided to not work, and gravity pulled her off the last step.

Warm arms, strong and steady, caught her, and all the air rushed out of her lungs.

Her eyes widened when she realized her face was only a centimeter away from his chest. His scent, mint and cinnamon, flooded her, and she closed her eyes. Heat radiated off of him, and suddenly all she wanted to do was lay her head against him and go to sleep.

"Are you okay?" His voice rumbled his chest, and she opened her eyes.

Blushing, she pushed herself out of his arms. "I- uh- sorry."

A smile broke out on his face, and she could tell he tried to suppress it. "Ready to go?"

Cole nodded and slid into the passenger seat.

A air-freshener tree hung from the review mirror. Colette tapped it with a frown, and Hunter laughed.

"I could tell last time you thought my car was... unpersonalized, so I bought a cinnamon car freshener." He pulled away from the curb. "What do you think?"