Chapter 11 - The Watchers

A/N: I know you were all expecting this chapter to be in Jacob's point of view but I though it would come across best from Mouse's since he's finding a side to himself that he never knew he had.

Sorry if this chapter isn't up to my usual standards but I was sick while writing this. I HATE being sick.

Kennedy's POV

I was sorry I'd ever told Jason and Bram about being watched outside the mall. They'd appointed two of the Alpha's Guard to watch me at all times whenever I left the house. I'd been followed to dinner with Jacob and then back to his house where I'd watched a movie before returning home. I'd been followed to the grocery store, the shoe store, the bakery, and the pharmacy where I'd picked up some private things. I was even followed into a public restroom.

I was starting to feel like a prisoner in this town where every move I made was being monitored. I knew it was a safety precaution and I appreciated that my friend's cared enough to look out for my safety. But it was really starting to annoy me.

Tonight though I had wanted some privacy and it had started out so well. Jacob had picked me up from the pack house and we were on our way to his house, followed by Tweedledum and Tweedledee. We were roughly a five minute drive from his house when an orange glow came into view over the tree tops.

"What on earth..?" Jacob changed direction and started driving at speed toward what I could now see was a fire. "I'm sorry Kennedy but I have to check this out and call it into the station." He took one hand off the wheel and gave my thigh a gentle squeeze.

"I know you do I don't mind, honestly. I hope no one's been hurt."

Four minutes later we pulled up in front of an old hunting cabin in the woods. Flames licked at the broken windows and through cracks in the roof. If anyone had been inside I very much doubted that they had survived.

"Stay in the truck no matter what happens. I'll be back as quickly as I can." Jacob leaned over the centre console and placed an all too brief kiss on my lips.

I gave him a firm nod and watched him step out of the truck and jog closer to the cabin. He pulled out his phone and started dialling. I presumed he was calling the fire station. A loud rap on the passenger side window had me shrieking and jumping in my seat. I turned to see Peter peering in at me with a sheepish look on his face. I opened the window a crack and he immediately apologised for scaring me.

"I'm sorry, Kennedy. Are you okay?" He looked toward where Jacob was circling back around the cabin after going to check out the back of the property. "Perhaps we should take you back to the pack house while your mate waits for help to come?"

"No!" I yelled and then blushed at my outburst before lowering my voice to continue. "I'd rather wait for Jacob, if you don't mind." I didn't want tonight to be spoiled because of some stupid fire. I had plans for after dinner and I had every intention of staying the night. I patted my jacket pocket, double checking, and sighed in relief when I felt what I had stored there.

Peter nodded and moved back from the window. "We'll keep a close watch over you until he's finished." He backed away and walked over to the car parked behind Jacob's truck.

I wrinkled my nose at the scent of the fire and closed up the window. My wolf's sense of smell was strong and the odours coming through from the fire and building were overpowering. I wondered how Jacob and some of the other shifter's in town could stand to be around it.

"I'm sorry about this," Jacob climbed back into the truck and pointed out at the burning building. "I have to wait for the guys to get here before I can leave but there's not really anything I can do until then."