Chapter Eight

[THIS IS THE 2017 VERSION OF HTM! THE 2024 REWRITTEN VERSION IS NOW AVAILABLE!!!]

CHAPTER EIGHT:

When you wake up from a horrific nightmare involving the two boys that the universe are determined to say are your mates and they push you into a pit of fire, you can't help but be extremely paranoid the next day. I think, out of all of the lucid dreams I've had so far, last night's dream was one of the worst. I can vividly remember how I hung from a ledge and below me were many hands crawling up my body. They were trying to pull me down and standing above me were the two boys that have recently impacted my life. They just stood there, watching me struggle, ignoring my pleas for help. It was as if they were waiting on me?

"Is everything okay?" I jumped. Coming back to reality, Nathan was watching me with a worried look on his face.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lied. My hand trembled against my bag strap, proving that I wasn't. "Are you okay?" I asked, trying to take the attention off of me.

"I'm fine," He looks away.

I didn't question him since he didn't question me, but I knew that he was lying too. I wondered if he saw the nightmare too—was that possible between mates? Could he have seen my dream and felt paranoid as well about it? There was no actual way to tell, unless I asked which I wasn't going to do.

I stared at the ground, trying to think of ways to make the current situation less awkward. I could go about a subtle game of 20 Questions but it'd be blatantly obvious that I'm still investigating the nightmare. My curiosity towards him was in its highest level and I wanted to know about him.

I stole a glance at him while he wasn't looking. I realized that I hadn't actually looked at him since we met. He wasn't bad looking at all. He was paler than I last saw him making the hue of his eyes bright. I could feel heat rising to my cheeks as I mentally complimented him. I forced myself to look away before he caught me.

It was awkwardly silent between us. I figured I had to think of a good conversation starter, something that would keep us occupied for the next five minutes. I prepared for something casual but what came out was; "What are you?"

He stopped walking, his back facing me. I knew it wasn't a question to just randomly ask out of the blue, but I had to know what I was getting myself into. I don't know if I could handle my second mate being another supernatural being—I still haven't gotten used to Alex being a werewolf.

"Why do you mean by that?" He asks, still facing away from me.

"Well," I step in front of him. "I, uh, have another mate and he's a werewolf." He didn't seem the slightest bit comfortable knowing I had a second mate, even if he tried to appear that he was. "I am curious."

The corner of his mouth twitched, "It's not important," He says, walking around me and heading towards the school.

I stayed back, confused by his reaction. I'm sure whatever he was; it couldn't have been all that terrible. My guess, he was ashamed of what he was or rather hated it. I wanted to know why but I didn't want to push him.

"Does it have to do with that bruise?" I ask him. He stiffens slightly

"You noticed?" He tugs his collar closer

"I did," I say. He was walking really fast, causing me to stumble over my own feet. "Should I worry?"

He shook his head. "I'm fine. There's no need for that."

"Ah, well, whatever it is—whatever you are," I say. "I won't judge."

He scoffed but didn't say a word. It stayed like that for the remainder of the walk and in class, he seemed kind of distant and lost in thought. I knew it had to deal with what I said earlier but I was being honest.