6. Tragic Consequences

"Jo, what about the writers' group?" Jenny asked, after Jo had regained their composure. Now that Jo had been snared into working at the Precinct, Jenny assumed they would be stepping down from their leadership role in the group. The two friends sat at Jo's kitchen table, sipping coffee.

"Oh, I wanted to talk to you about that," Jo said. "It's ridiculous for me to even think about staying on, but I was wondering if I could talk you into leading?"

"Me? But I freeze up around people." Before Jenny could say no, Jo interrupted.

"Now hear me out," Jo said, determination returning to her voice. "Word's gotten around that you stood up to that Mrs. Hentzel at the Town Council meeting last night."

"So soon?"

"Of course. Small town gossip, you know." Jo stood up to pour more coffee. "Anyway, people in the writers' group will look up to you. You took a stand."

Jenny took a deep breath. She guessed this was as good a time as any to tell Jo about her meeting with Mrs. Entzel and Inspector Shelton. And the visits from her ancestors.

"Jo," Jenny said. "There are a few things you should know. First, about Mrs. Entzel..."

***************

Back home after her meeting with Jenny and Inspector Shelton, Mrs. Entzel sat in the cozy, carpeted room she and her late husband had converted into a library. Of course, the best books — titles that the Precinct had banned years ago — were hidden in the attic. That where she had kept the paperback copy of The Federalist Papers that was now in Jenny's possession. Mrs. Entzel so wanted to bring one other text out of hiding — but she knew it would be too controversial, even dangerous.

There were still enough books in the library to create that old-book smell that softened the day's rough edges. First edition cookbooks, birdwatching guides, and gardening encyclopedias now filled the shelves.

Mrs. Entzel sighed, realizing it was time to get ready for her volunteer shift at the Precinct. She was grateful that Inspector Shelton would be there this afternoon. Just the knowledge that an ally was nearby helped her cope with her odious work. First, she and a half dozen other volunteers would assemble in the entry room to reaffirm their pledge of loyalty to the Precinct, the President of Republica, and to Republica itself. If only I were Jenny's age, Mrs. Entzel thought. I'd refuse to sign, too.

When Mrs. Entzel arrived at the Precinct, however, the entry room was empty and the sign-in sheet was nowhere to be seen. Mrs. Entzel followed the muffled sounds of conversation — and occasional gasps — to the front office. The entire Precinct staff was huddled near the coffee station, speaking in hushed tones. Barbara, the receptionist, stood shaking her head and wiping her eyes.

Mrs. Entzel remained at the office door and watched the quiet yet puzzling spectacle. Then she saw Sam Goodreau, the town moderator, emerge from the crowd and rush toward the exit.

Finally, Barbara broke away and walked over to Mrs. Entzel.

"Something awful has happened," Barbara said tearfully, her voice trembling. "Just terrible. Sam's daughter Ruth went to the ER. Miscarriage. There's a lot of bleeding, but the doctors are afraid they'll be arrested if they do anything for her! Sam got just got the call from his son-in-law."

Mrs. Entzel froze. Then she felt her face flush with anger. She knew that this would happen to someone she knew sooner or later. Even when there was no hope of a live birth, doctors were terrified of being arrested under Republica's draconian Women's and Children's Health Initiative. The harmless-sounding name belied the tragic consequences for women who were denied lifesaving medical care.

The Goodreaus had been ardent supporters of the Initiative since the early days of Republica. Still in high school, Ruth had canvassed Mrs. Entzel's neighborhood, seeking signatures in support of the Initiative. Afraid of losing her teaching job, Mrs. Entzel signed the petition. She lost her job anyway.

As volunteers and Precinct staff shook their heads and whispered about the day's events, Barbara strode to the center of the office and sharply clapped her hands. "All right, the work of maintaining order in Republica must continue! Volunteers to the entry room now! Everyone else, back to your desks!"

As Mrs. Entzel followed the other volunteers toward the entry room to sign the loyalty pledge, one thought occupied her mind: she must talk to Jenny as soon as possible. Instead of going to the entry room, she stopped at Inspector Shelton's office.

*******************

Jenny wasn't sure what to make of Jo's blank expression. Jenny had told Jo about everything: the meeting with Inspector Shelton and Mrs. Entzel, the dream about Captain Lewis, the visits from Lewis, James Madison, Chief Osemaquin Massasoit, and Mom. At the kitchen table, Jo sat opposite Jenny and stared, open-mouthed.

"Well, what do you think?" Jenny said, tired of the awkward silence. They probably think I'm crazy, Jenny thought.

"Meriwether Lewis? James Madison? Chief Massasoit? And your mom!" Jo finally whispered.

"Yep."

"That's amazing!" Jo exclaimed. "You know what? I've always prayed that they would come back and help us!"

"You mean you believe me?"

"Of course! I talk to my ancestors all the time. I've just been afraid to say anything about it."

A wave of relief washed over Jenny's frazzled nerves, followed by an unfamiliar surge of confidence. Maybe she could take over leading the writers' group, after all. A soft Jo's door interrupted Jenny's pondering. The two friends fell silent.

After peering through the peephole, Jo said in a barely audible voice, "It's an elderly woman, and she's carrying a large envelope and wearing a Precinct badge!" Jenny took her turn looking through the peephole and smiled, "It's Mrs. Entzel," and opened the door.

"I'm sorry to surprise you two," the retired teacher said and turned to Jenny's friend. "You must be Jo. I'm Roberta Entzel."

Huh, Jenny thought. So, she has a first name.

"Of course," Jo said. "Jenny was just telling me about you and Inspector Shelton."

"Shelton advised me that Jenny might be at your apartment, Jo. I've heard that you've also been forced into volunteering at the Precinct. I'm so sorry."

"Mrs. Ent — I mean, Roberta," Jenny said. "I thought you had to work this afternoon."

Roberta explained the Goodreau medical emergency. "I was so upset, I had to talk to you, Jenny. So, Shelton graciously wrote an excuse for me and here I am." She looked at Jenny and then at Jo. "I have to get back to work, but I wanted you to have this." She handed the envelope to Jenny. "Jo can see it, too. Be very careful with it, both of you. No one else should know about it except you two. We're all committing a seditious act by having a copy of this text."

Jenny took the envelope. She couldn't imagine how a package that was so lightweight could be so dangerous.

"I - I really have to get back to the Precinct," Roberta said, opening the door. "Please be careful. I hope I'm doing the right thing, giving this to you. Study it, memorize as much as you can and keep it in your heart." Before Jenny or Jo could say a word, Roberta had left and shut the door behind her.

Jenny looked at Jo, then at the envelope. Jo glanced at the envelope, then back at Jenny. Both shrugged. Jenny opened the envelope flap and gently pulled out a photocopied document. The two friends gasped as they read the top lines:

"We the people of the United States of America, in order to form a more perfect union..."