17: No Freedom in Sight

Start from the beginning

And so, even though it brings him immense shame, he pulls out his phone and proceeds to make a call.

"...yes?"

The man that answers has a calm, leveled voice, and Felix instinctively grits his teeth. It's a voice he's heard time and time again, and not at all what he would've wanted in a time like this, but really, what other choice does he have?

"I need help," he mumbles weakly. "It's really bad. And I know that my dad sent you to watch over me somewhere in the city. I don't know where you've been staying, but I bet it can't be too far. If I text you an address, can you get here right away?"

There's a brief pause, followed by a sigh. "What happened? Don't go into too much detail over the phone. Just give me a rough idea of what I should expect."

"It's..." Felix swallows hard. The sight of you passed out in his arms, looking as though you may never wake again, makes him sob all over again. "I-It's really bad. Someone... is hurt. And I need your help. She's lost a lot of blood. She's not waking up, and I-"

"Stop. Don't say anything else. I get the general gist of things. Do I need to help you clean up the mess and make a disposal?"

Felix's eyes widen. "What? No! I'm calling because I need your help to save her, not make her disappear! Fuck... I should've known that's what you would suggest. It's not fucking funny, and I seriously need your help right now. I'm scared. I really messed up. I messed up, and... I need to fix it."

The line goes completely silent for a few moments, and Felix can already feel himself regretting his decision.

But then there's another sigh. A solemn, resolved one, this time.

"Okay. I'll make a call and figure something out. But if you say she's lost a lot of blood, she may have gone into shock. Until I get there, try to keep her condition as stable as possible. If she isn't breathing, you may need to give her mouth-to-mouth and CPR. There's no guarantee it'll be enough, but at the very least, it could buy her some time."

"I... I can do that," Felix nods. His fingers tremble as he grips the phone close to his ear. "B-But get here as fast as you can, okay? I don't know... how much help I'll be. I've already gone and messed everything up..."

"Don't panic. I'm not sure who this person is, but if she's important to you, we'll figure something out. The most you can do for her right now is stay calm and work on stabilizing her condition. Text me the address. I'll leave right away."

Felix nods once more, despite the fact that no one can see him, and he sends the address the second he hangs up the call. Then, he turns back towards you, using a hand to gently cradle your neck as he lowers you all the way down to the ground.

He knows there's no time to waste. Already, you're on the brink of death. He can faintly feel a pulse, so you are still alive-just barely. He'll do whatever it takes to keep you from crossing over to the other side. Letting you die just isn't an option.

"I'm sorry, [Name]," Felix silently sobs. "I'm so, so sorry. When you wake up, I'll apologize to you properly. I promise, okay? So please, please wake up..."

He lowers his head towards the ground, uses his thumb to carefully part your mouth open, then presses his lips to yours.

...

"...don't know what you were thinking. It's just ridiculous. And you even got a third party involved in your schemes. I thought we taught you never to leave behind that kind of trail. It's sloppy."