IRL 2

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

Luffy blinked.  Just then, a luggage cart fell full of luggage. 

Buggy the local celebrity, filled the air with curses at the airport attendant.  The poor lad apologized profusely and Nami watched as Luffy's brows knotted.  It was evident in his eyes that he wanted to do something, to help, but he refrained himself as other passengers helped pile back the luggage. 

Nami checked the time and with widened eyes, she said her goodbyes and went over to stand in line. 

Luffy watched her go and made a face trying to remember what she said but it slipped him. 

He made way towards the exit but paused hearing foot steps behind him.  He turned.  It was Nami. 

She collided into his chest and he held her by the arms. 

"Is something wrong?" Luffy asked. 

"My flight," Nami said out of breath.  "My flight got canceled."

Luffy's eyes widened.  Missed flights sucked but he was glad to see her again so the least he could say was,

"Sorry."

"I was wondering if you knew of anywhere I could spend the night."

Luffy was about to suggest his place but Nami stopped him. 

"Somewhere close. And maybe before that... Just maybe, we can get dinner somewhere.  If that's okay with you, I mean..."

Nami's cheeks tinged red but looked him straight in the eyes.   Her flight was only rescheduled until morning.  She had time. 

"I do."

"Do you know of somewhere or dinner?"

"Both, I guess."

Nami mentally high-fived herself.

"Follow me."

Nami was right behind him, but the moment she fell behind in the crowd of passengers, he took her hand in his to keep her close. 

When they returned to the outside Tokyo air, both breathed a sigh of relief, looking at each other and at the same time exchanging grins like two children granted more time on the playground. 

"This may sound bad but I'm glad your flight got delayed."

"Me too."

"Really?"

"Yeah.  I like spending time with you, Luffy."

".... Hey, Nami."

"Hm?"

"What did you ask me earlier?"

Then and there, Nami became aware of herself.  How bold she had been.  What business had she with a guy who was 9 times out of 10 in a relationship?  Asking him out to dinner was a stretch.  She cursed herself for being so careless. 

She  straightened out invisible creases in her blouse and jeans.   Clearing her throat, she fixed loose orange strands behind her ears. 

"Forget it.  And forget about dinner.  I should have checked with you first.  I'm pretty sure your girlfriend wouldn't like that.  I'll be okay once I find a place to stay."

She could get take-out or... Nami's thoughts trailed yet again.  She didn't take Luffy's silence into account. 

"Coming to think of it, was she okay with you meeting me today?"

"Who?"

"Your girlfriend.  Surely a great guy like you would have a girlfr-"

"I don't have a girlfriend."