one

quick a/n: so helloo i just want to point out that the beginning of this story and this chapter only, is inspired by an episode of once upon a time. the rest is solely inspired by whatever is going on in my brain lmao okay bye

The faint sound of my footsteps echo through the wet parking lot as I glance around at my surroundings, suddenly becoming hesitant of my intentions. I quickly try to recover myself as I put my hood up and shove my hands in my pockets, making my way over to the only car in sight.

Reaching the car, I look around once more before I grab the all too familiar tool from my boot. I twist and turn the wire into the crease of the window until I hear the pop of the lock opening. I smile in accomplishment, opening the car door and getting in.

Closing the door behind me, I grab a rock and screwdriver from my purse. I place the screwdriver into the ignition and hit it with the rock a few times while twisting it in the process; something one of my old friends taught me. It only takes two hits for the sound of the engine to start filling my ears. Smiling once again, I put the car into drive and start making my way out of the dark alley.

I'm driving for just a few minutes now and all of the sudden a voice fills my ear. Gasping, I quickly glance back and see a guy rising from a lying position with a hood masking his head, all the way down to his forehead.

"Clever but you could have just asked me for the keys," he smirks, jiggling the keys in front of my face.

The first thing I notice about his voice was the huskiness in his tone. Oddly, I can't help but to find it attractive. My breathing picks up and I wasn't exactly sure how I was supposed to respond in a situation like this. I just stole this guy's damn car, and he's the one acting nonchalant about the situation? I was half expecting him to pull a gun on me at any minute now.

"It's fine, just drive," he adds, shrugging like the whole situation didn't faze him.

"Just drive? I just stole your car, for crying out loud!" I respond, glancing in my rear view mirror to see if there was any sign of trouble written on his face.

I'm taken aback when I see his hood down, unleashing his dark brown hair as he runs his fingers through it. His hair wasn't exactly in a quiff because it didn't have the shape, but it did have the height. Almost as if he used to style his hair that way, but no longer does or at least doesn't do it as often. Instead, it was combed over to the side, most likely by his fingers.

"Jack Gilinsky," he introduces himself, completely ignoring my statement.

"And my name is, 'not happening'," I insist. Frankly, I don't even know why he bothered to tell me his.

"Damn, I really needed to know your name to turn you in to the cops. Wait, actually you're right here in person so I guess not, huh?" he points out, smirking.

I bring my lips into a thin line, contemplating on what my next move should be. "Laila," I state. "Laila Valt."

"Nice name," he replies nonchalantly.

"So, what? Do you live in here or do you just wait around to have your car stolen?" I inquire.

"Why don't I tell you over drinks?" he smirks.

I snap my head behind me, glaring at him. "Excuse me?

"Hey, eyes on the road!" Jack barks just as I race past a stop sign, earning beeping car horns because of it.

"I'm not having drinks with you; you could be a pedophile for all I know," I finish.

"I might be a pedophile but you are a car thief," he chimes.

"I said I was sorry," I sigh, running my hands through my hair. What is up with this guy?

"You didn't actually," Jack points out; just as the sound of police sirens fill my ears.

"Fuck," I curse, pulling over to an empty spot along the road. I quickly take the screwdriver from out of the ignition and replace it with the key in which I asked Jack for...Not really sure why he agreed to give it to me, but I didn't have the time to ask questions, especially questions that don't make sense. I jump at the sound of the police officer saying "license and registration." Just as I was about to open my mouth, I feel my seat move and soon Jack was on my side, peaking his head over so he could communicate with the officer.

"Sorry officer, but this is actually my car," he lightly laughs, "Uh, I'm teaching my girlfriend how to drive stick," he adds.

"Without much luck, I see," the cop remarks, searching our faces for any kind of lie.

"Yeah I know, but you know...woman," Jack responds, crinkly his face in a disfavored manner. I glare at him, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah I hear you; it's a warning...this time," the officer states, nodding his head and walking away and back to his car. I let out a deep breath just as Jack climbs over the seat and sits on the passenger side.

"Go, we got lucky," Jack commands, rubbing his hands together.

"We?" I question, furrowing my eyebrows. "This isn't your car either, is it?"

Giving me an innocent smile, he winks. "Now how about that drink?

+++++

* a/n *

helloo everyone (aka like the 2 people reading this lmao)

i had no intention of posting this at all but my best friend gabi (ayy americancrimed) kinda convinced me too and i just wanted to try it out and see what would come out of it tbh !

anywaysss, i hope you enjoyed this so far; i have a lot of things planned, just not exactly sure how to get my jumbled up thoughts on paper (or screen if you wish; "on paper" just sounded cooler) so bare with me lmao

- make sure to comment and vote and such on this, just to let me know if this is worth continuing bc idk

btw the main girl aka laila is played by halsey; if you don't know who that is, the gif of the girl in the beginning was her yay but feel free to imagine her as whoever you want

~amy 🌿🌾