Prologue

I'll never forget the first time I saw Oliver. We were just sprogs when we met, I was 10 while Oliver was 13. At the time I wanted nothing more than his attention. A simple glance was enough to make me swoon. He was always known for his looks, beautiful hazel eyes that were partially covered by his soft dark brown hair. There was nothing that could make a young me faint more than his gorgeous face. We met on top a hill, covered in the most beautiful purple flowers. I, being a little girl, was admiring them of course. When Oliver approached me and tucked one of the flowers behind my small ear. He said, "A pretty flower for a pretty girl." I blushed and ran away, thinking I would never see him again. But every time I came back to that hill, he'd always be there waiting for me.

Over time we grew a great bond. One I saw as a relationship, a great love story. Oliver and I would spend a great deal of time together, sharing stories and laughter. I could only hope one day he would come knocking on my papa's door, and ask to court me. From that young age of 10 I waited, yearning for him. I watched as he grew into a fine young man who all the ladies adored. I'd be lying if I said it didn't upset me, seeing the attention he gave to other woman. But what could I do? I was simply his companion, a friend, not a person he'd build a life with. Yet I never gave up hope, for he was my one true love. I would sooner pass than give up on him. And it seemed he was quite fond of me. Always avoiding possible courtships and spending all his time with me. Yet he could never ask me to be his. I spent my childhood devoting myself to him, and I was convinced he someday, would be mine.

But looking back, I could understand why I believed him to be in love with me. What I can't quite understand now, is why he wasn't. I tried my best to make him fall for me but alas it didn't work. Now the question that remains, shall I keep chasing him, or do I let my greatest love go?