Kimmy's First Court Hearing

Start from the beginning

"Is there anything important you want the judge to know?" she eventually asked to wrap up the meeting.

Kimmy thought for a moment, staring at the floor. But she could only shrug. Of course, she wanted the judge to know she wanted to go home with her brother. But wasn't sure how to communicate that to Susan without speaking.

Susan then suggested if Kimmy would like to attend the hearing, encouraging the kid she should be there. Even though Kimmy wasn't required, Susan always wanted her clients involved, to keep them informed about what was going on and to help teach them how to find their voice, and in Kimmy's case, she felt it was definitely needed.

Kimmy thought about it and eventually agreed to be there.

John came downstairs while Susan was packing her shoulder briefcase to leave and made the suggestion to Kimmy to walk her GAL to the door. Kimmy wasn't sure what the point of walking five feet but did it anyway.

Susan thanked Kimmy before heading down the walkway, where she parked on the street.

-- & --

The morning of the big day, Ben ran John to school first. When he returned, he finished getting ready, changing into a blue, button-up shirt and tan slacks.

Kayla took the day off to join Ben and Kimmy, dressing nice for court, as well and helped Kimmy button her shirt. Just as they did for Mary and Miguel's review hearing, Ben and Kayla said a prayer. However, even after, Ben still felt nervous. He couldn't imagine how Kimmy was feeling since this was her first, remembering his first court hearing. Ben had sweated through his shirt and constantly kept dropping the kid's binder. Kimmy seemed calm on the outside, but knowing what could possibly be going on, on the inside, he could guess it was similar to his own racing heart.

Kayla drove so Ben could focus on calming his nerves. He took deep breaths, blowing each one out, slowly. At some point, she reached over while driving to gently squeeze his arm.

"Whatever happens, we will deal with," Kayla reminded him, as well as that he would do just fine, knowing that's what he was most anxious about.

Ben looked over at his best friend, taking one last deep breath and letting it out. He glanced behind him at Kimmy, who was staring out her window. Her lips were moving as if she was singing along with Wynonna, probably also trying to calm her own nerves.

God already knew what would happen and would see them all through, no matter what.

When they arrived at the court building, the trio went through security first before being directed where to go. Like Miguel had been, Kimmy was nervous to go through, even after watching Ben and Kayla take their turn. The kid may as well have been sneaking in a weapon or something by the look on her face. It took several minutes before she walked through the security check.

They met up with Mr. O'Reilly outside their courtroom. Being Kimmy's teacher and having helped make progress, Mr. O'Reilly was invited to attend both the team meetings and court hearings. Anyone who worked with the kid, like teachers, foster parents, therapists, etc, was able to attend and be a part of the team to help them succeed.

The adults made small talk while they waited for the rest of the team to show, including Zach's foster dad.

Mr. O'Reilly introduced himself to Stella when he got a chance, sharing how much of a joy Kimmy was in class. Though, he pretty much said that about all his students, he admitted afterward.

"Mr. O'Reilly, here, is the one who figured out Kimmy's struggle to talk," Ben felt the urge to say, swallowing afterward and wishing he hadn't.

Thankfully, Stella didn't say anything about it this time. Kayla still nudged his side with her elbow, discreetly, as if to say, "Cut it out."