𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

Start from the beginning

The room practically erupted in shouts, but the one voice she could hear crisply was the one coming from her boyfriend.

"What?" Paul murmured from behind her, her head craning to look at him. "You're not seriously considering going back, are you?"

"No," she breathed out, unsteadily. Paul's eyes narrowed; and she shook her head. "Okay, it's crossed my mind, yes— but I just... I don't wanna—"

She was visibly having trouble speaking, and there wasn't a single person in the room who wasn't hearing the heart rate monitor climb. The beeping was becoming incessant, the girl's eyes flickering around. "I just—"

Her gaze averted to her hands, palms turning over so she could look at them. She missed the way someone in her family was shuffling the pack out, until a voice called for the wolf behind her to leave as well. It's a family matter. "No!" she shouted, a hand going to grip Paul's wrist when she felt him try and shuffle away. "P–Paul stays."

The pack cleared out, though it was obviously they'd only taken to linger in the waiting room based on their voices travelling from down the hall. Carmen's pinched look returned, rubbing her thumb between the younger girl's tended brow. "I'll be right outside," she told the girl, because as much as they both loved one another, even Carmen knew this next conversation was a matter for her family; the Cullens.

Once she left and the door closed behind her, Augustine sagged backward and collided with Paul's chest once more. His arms tightened around her waist, secure. It grounded her.

Augustine looked at Edward, at the unhappy look on his face that practically screamed why would you throw away your second chance?

And her response: I'm just scared.

"Why are you so afraid?" he had asked, though there was no mirth behind his question. No judgement.

I don't wanna lose you guys.

It was such a juvenile thing, really. Her family had all been vampires for much longer than she had, they'd gotten used to what they became. She would be losing them, and really, in the grand scheme of things, she felt so insignificant now.

She barely registered Edward approaching her bedside, his hands tentatively reaching for her own. As much as she grew to know Edward and to love him like a brother, they were never the closest out of them all. But here he was, holding her hands so gently in his own, looking at her like yeah, she was his sister, too.

"You will never lose us," he stated, as though it was common sense. His figure in front of her became blurry for a beat before she sniffled, blinking away the emotion. "You might be human now, but you'll always be a Cullen. Don't ever forget that."

Nope, she couldn't blink the emotion out of her eyes at that. The real waterworks began, and in all of his usual broody glory, Edward hugged her.

That was really all the reassurance she needed.

⋆☾ ゚。⋆

When everyone finally left, and when the tears eventually stopped flowing from the ravenette, Augustine found herself alone with Paul.

Sure, he definitely wasn't meant to be there, but Carlisle could tell that everyone had had a tough day. He allowed it, but slyly gave the pair the charge nurse's rotation schedule so the boy could hide when she came by to check on Augustine.

She was laying on his chest, aimlessly drawing shapes over the green shirt he was wearing. "You're like my own personal furnace," she mumbled tiredly, soaking in all the warmth that his body radiated. "S'nice."

He chuckled, chest vibrating due to the motion. "And somehow, you're still cold as hell." 

She shrugged. "I used to naturally run cold, Mase was the same," she responded. "Not much has changed on that end."

"Not much has changed at all," he reassured her, hearing the slight uncertainty in her tone that he was able to sniff out. Her head shifted so she was looking up at him. "Actually, you're clingier— but that's the only difference, really."

Augustine couldn't even deny it because ever since she turned back, she'd been latching onto people (more specifically Paul) like a koala. "Am I hearing you complain about that right now?" she asked, giving him a deadpan look.

His arms squeezed around her in a firm, yet still gentle way. "Does it look like I'm complaining?"

She hummed. "Guess not."

There was a large beat of silence, the sounds of their mixed breathing filling the room before Paul's voice would be heard. "Your birthday's coming up," he whispered, his thumb rubbing circles on her lower back.

"Yours is too," was her giggled response. They were just a week away from celebrating their birthdays, though Augustine could tell that this upcoming birthday would be different from the others.

QIn a good way or in a bad way? She wasn't quite sure yet.

"My dad wants to have you over," he informed the girl that was sprawled on top of him, "he's got a cake planned and everything... he definitely likes you more than me."

"I tend to have that affect on people," she mused, and it earned her a flick to the forehead from the shifter. She flicked his chin in retaliation. "But I'd like that."

"Even if he made you a carrot cake?" he asked jokingly, knowing that carrot cake was her least favourite kind.

Augustine rolled her eyes. "I'd rather eat rocks than ever reject something your dad made me," came her honest reply. "He's too sweet."

Paul laughed lightly. "Such a kiss ass."

"And that's exactly why I'm his favourite, Paulie."

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

[ wyn's note ]

given that they haven't been too too close, i literally had to give auggie and edward their sibling moment... and it payed off ugh give us emotion eddie!!!

the final two chaps (+ epilogue) are coming soon... hang tight!! appreciate you all always, xx