Chapter 38***

You storm into Yelena's house, irritation ready in your voice as you launch into your routine scolding. "Alright, knock it off!" you bark, your words echoing slightly in the familiar chaos of Natasha's living room.

"Hello?" You pause, your frustration hanging momentarily as the scene unfolds before you. Yelena has Natasha in a chokehold on the floor, both sisters wrestling energetically. Nearby, Maria stands with her arms crossed, shaking her head at the sibling rivalry that, by now, she finds more amusing than alarming.

As you stand dumbfounded, Yelena catches your eye, a mischievous grin spreading across her face. "You're probably wondering why the urgent call," she says, her grip still secure around Natasha's neck.

"Let me guess, something catastrophic?" you venture, half expecting another one of their exaggerated crises.

"Natasha didn't twist the bread bag closed," Yelena declares triumphantly as if announcing a major scandal.

"You got me out of bed while I'm still healing, mind you...on a Saturday morning... for a bread bag?" Your voice climbs with each word, incredulity laced with a hint of amusement at the absurdity.

"Sounds about right," Natasha chimes in casually from beneath Yelena's arm, her demeanor unfazed by her precarious position.

You click your tongue, clearly annoyed. "Great, I'm going home." As you turn to leave, unbeknownst to you, a silent flurry of frantic gestures and mouthing words passes between the three women. They're desperate to come up with a plausible reason to keep you around just a little longer, ensuring Wanda has everything set for her big surprise tonight.

Just as you grasp the door handle, Yelena blurts out, "Wait! You can't go yet. We... we need your help deciding if we should adopt a pet raccoon. Natasha thinks it's a great idea!"

Natasha, still in a playful chokehold under her sister, cranes her neck to give Yelena a look that screams, Really? That's what you come up with? Her expression is a mixture of amusement and disbelief, clearly taken aback by the randomness of the excuse.

You turn back from the door, your face a mask of bemusement. "A raccoon. You want a raccoon... a literal raccoon that sleeps in garbage bins?" you question, the absurdity of the idea evident in your voice, though a hint of annoyance seeps through. While ridiculous, is somehow typical of the kind of antics you've come to expect when dealing with Natasha and Yelena.

Yelena, realizing her idea might be a bit too outlandish, quickly nods, her enthusiasm overplayed to keep you engaged. "Exactly! Think about it, who better to weigh in on this than you? We need your strategic mind to consider all the... um, variables."

You step back into the living room, your mouth agape, confusion mixed with amusement evident on your face. "What the heck is that supposed to mean? Than me? I don't sleep in garbage!" you exclaim.

Your shock sends the room into a burst of laughter. As the giggles subside, Natasha regains some composure. "Okay, okay, but seriously, we need your help. You've been lounging in the hospital for three weeks...so plenty of rest, right? Now we need you back in action."

Yelena chimes in, her eyes twinkling mischievously. "Exactly! And what better way to jump back into it than by helping us strategize the security... potential of.... a guard raccoon? It's innovative home security!"

Maria, unable to keep a straight face, adds, "Plus, think of the social media angle! 'Guard Raccoon on Duty' could go viral."

You roll your eyes but can't suppress a chuckle at their outrageous suggestions. "Guard raccoons, huh? And here I thought I was coming back to a normal routine. What's next, teaching it morse code to signal intruders?"