01

"...you can do what now?"

"Hire someone to date you," your friend, Ava, repeats. She chuckles and waves you off dismissively. "Come on, [Name]. It's the modern age. People are always coming up with new things these days. I'm willing to bet there's an app or website out there for practically anything."

You blink in disbelief. Granted, there is all kinds of crazy shit going on in the world, and you've heard of companionship services before-like escorts or sugar baby arrangements-but to hear that something like this is trending nowadays is still undeniably a shock.

"Here, look," Ava gestures, pulling out her phone. "I was curious, so I downloaded the app the other day just to check out."

"Uh, don't you already have a boyfriend?"

"He knows I was just browsing. I showed him too, and we scrolled through some stuff together. A lot of the profiles on here are wild," she laughs. "It's crazy what people advertise they're willing to do. Get a load of this guy. He says he's down to meet your family and make a total ass out of himself just so that he lowers your parents' standards and the next real boyfriend you get will look way better by comparison."

"Fucking hell," you mutter. "I can't tell if this is actually real, or just some new meme template."

"Of course it's real! I think you're underestimating how lonely people these days are. There's definitely a lot of money to be made in this industry. Just look at how much people are willing to blow on their favorite streamer, even though they've never met them a day in their life. Dating's gotten a lot more complicated lately, so I guess some people just want to skip past the troublesome parts and experience what it's like to be with someone."

You furrow your brows. The whole thing sounds incredibly sad when you think of it that way. People would rather pay for a fabricated relationship than put in the time and effort towards building something real? Loneliness is starting to sound like an actual epidemic nowadays.

"Well, I guess I shouldn't judge people without understanding where they're coming from," you acknowledge. "It's not like I know what they've been through. Times are changing and all. It sounds like this is actually starting to become pretty mainstream."

Ava nods chipperly. "Yep! I mean, I love my boyfriend, so I'm definitely not the target audience, but maybe it's what some people need to gain a little boost of confidence and get back into the dating scene. I doubt everyone uses it in a romantic sense too. There are people out there that just want a bit of company every now and then. Isn't it nice that they have someone to spend time with this way?"

"Yeah... I guess that's true."

Honestly, you're still struggling to fully wrap your head around this. You understand the premise well enough, but you can't really get past the part about accepting payment just to provide someone with a fabricated experience. Then again, you suppose that's the case for most things nowadays. People are willing to spend the brunt of their earnings on in-game purchases for video games and other things that aren't tangible in the real world, because even though they aren't necessarily organic, it still provides them with some satisfaction.

Long story short, it's not up to you to decide what does or doesn't make someone else happy, and you suppose as long as it's executed in a professional manner, there's nothing wrong with meeting new people this way.

"Hey, I've got a great idea," Ava suddenly perks up. "You should join this app! You're super pretty, smart, and nice. I bet you'd have loads of guys lining up to hire you as their girlfriend!"

"Me?" You blink repeatedly, shuffling backwards the closer she leans in. "I mean, I just don't think I'm the right person for the job. If it makes people happy, then I support it, but deep down, I worry I'd feel like I'm exploiting someone's feelings just for a few extra bucks. Morally speaking, I'm not so sure I like the idea..."