𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐖𝐎

Start from the beginning

Emily reached into her bag, pulling out what looked to be a sandwich in a plastic baggie. "Paul told me that you might've wanted one of these, too."

Augustine nearly choked when she saw the sandwich, or more precisely, when she saw what kind of sandwich she was staring at. "Is that—"

"A fluffernutter sandwich? Yeah," the woman smiled, setting it on the bedside table next to her IV drip. "I used to eat them all the time back home; Sam had no idea what I was even talking about."

"Tell me about it!" she exasperated, and once she'd finished the cookie she reached for the sandwich. Even the pure sight of it reminded her of the easier parts of her life in Alaska. "Where's home for you?"

"The Makah rez, a little ways up north from here," she supplied, pulling a matching sandwich from her bag for herself. Yeah, she came prepared. "My sister still lives there, but she brings my niece down whenever she can."

Augustine didn't need to question Emily on just how she stumbled upon the Quileute reservation because Paul was more than willing to spill the gossip to her. The love triangle between Sam, Emily, and Leah was already awkward enough as it seemed, and she sure as hell wasn't about to re-open that can of worms.

"Do you ever miss it?" Augustine asked, tearing off a piece of her gooey sandwich.

Emily mulled it over with a shrug. "Sometimes," was her simple reply. "But even though I miss it, I can't deny that I'm happier here, y'know?"

"I get that," the younger girl agreed, and the wound on her chest emitted a phantom throb. "I think about it all the time; the times I was hurt, those I hurt in return... When I dream now, I only dream of Alaska."

It was the first time she'd ever admitted that out loud.

Since waking, since becoming human once more, her dreams were plagued with memories from Alaska; memories from her childhood and memories from the aftermath of her demise. She dreamt about her mother (really, they were nightmares), she dreamt about the last night she'd seen her brother, and above all, she dreamt of those hikers she killed.

Augustine knew she'd never forget their faces, never forget the way their blood looked scattered across the coarse snow; but now, now she was certain she would never forget.

Emily nodded in sympathy. "Would you ever go back?" she questioned, more out of curiosity than to simply pry.

"I don't think I could do it alone," she shook her head. "There's too much bad there, I think it'd really kill me if I ever tried to go back."

The woman beside her gave her a small, playful smirk. "I know one person who'd jump at the chance to go with you," she joked, though she said it with surety.

And Augustine had thought about it, given all this free time she had while she was recovering and subsequently pulled from school (a temporary measure, Carlisle ensured her). She'd thought about taking Paul on a tour of the places she'd grown up, given that he promised to do the same for her but with Tacoma; but did she really want him to see the chaos June Dubois left in her wake?

Was June even living there still? They were coming up on the three year anniversary of the incident, so perhaps she'd fled the state entirely? And what about Mason? Surely his schooling was done down south— would he have even moved back to Fairbanks? Or had he started anew elsewhere, putting their past behind him just like Augustine was forced to do?

The girl hummed after her train of thought ended. "Maybe," she gave as a response, not wanting to dwell on it while Paul himself was actively suiting up for battle. At that, her anxieties roared back to life. "They'll be okay, right?"

The Young woman gave her a soft smile, her hand reaching across to grasp the other girl's while being mindful of the IV needle.

"It'll take a lot more than some vengeful vampires to take down our boys."

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

[ wyn's note ]

emily is MOTHER asf.

yeah, auggie's sitting this fight out (all things considered), so the aftermath will be happening next chap!! ive got the last few chappys lined up and outlined, so expect more soon!!

and huge thank you for 130k reads!! UNREAL!!

all love xx