𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄

Start from the beginning

Augustine had always had a fear of being unwanted; that practically came with living under the same roof as June Dubois for all those years. But, now that she was human once more, she didn't dare ask anyone from her family what was about to happen next. She didn't want to know— didn't want them to leave her behind.

They were still vampires, and as much as she'd bonded with them over these last two years, she knew they'd have to part ways. And that was slowly eating at her, though she tried not to let it show considering no one else had brought it up just yet.

She was about to give up any hope of seeing the one member of her family she really wished to see, when on the fifth day of endless visitors (Christmas morning, to be exact), Emmett was the first one to filter through the door.

Neither of them said anything at first, though Augustine's eyes immediately locked onto the rather large red and green wrapped box he was holding easily in one arm. Why was this suddenly so awkward— so tense?

"Hi," he said, and it was one of the rare times she ever heard Emmett's voice so quiet. She barely heard it when she had her vampiric senses, but now? Now she strained to hear it.

"Hey," she responded, sitting up carefully in her bed. She wordlessly pointed to the chair next to her, and her shoulders all but dropped in relief when he sat down.

"Carlisle says you're betting better," he said, putting the box on the floor before leaning forward, elbows on his knees.

The ravenette nodded. "Still not ready to be out of here yet, though." She gestured to the room around her, which had since gotten more livelier due to the overwhelming balloons and cards and teddy bears. "You sure took your sweet time in showing up, you clown."

She knew Emmett would've laughed at her mimicked tone, but he only tensed, albeit slightly. "Why'd you call me that night?"

Her eyebrows furrowed. "Because I was attacked? Why else?" she replied, as if that was common knowledge... which is was.

"No," he interjected with a shake of his head, "I mean why did you call me?"

Oh, he was asking that million dollar question.

"I knew you'd come," she told him, eyes averting to the blue quilt that was laying across her lap which Esme had brought for her two days ago. "I died without saying goodbye to my brother then, and I sure as hell wasn't gonna die without saying goodbye my brother now."

Since the beginning of her time with the Cullens, everyone knew she and Emmett shared a bond like no other. And slowly, she began viewing the others as her siblings too, but with Emmett, he was unconditionally her brother. He pestered her, gave shovel talks, did puzzles with her even though he hated sitting still for that long.

He was her brother, just like she was his sister.

"I'm sorry if that's selfish," she mumbled, picking at a stray piece of fabric. "But I needed you there."

A scoff was punched out of the boy, and it made her attention snap back to his face that was pulled in a deep frown. "If I had just answered the phone when you called me, maybe I'd—"

"Let's not talk about the maybes," she said with a wave of her hand. She knew Emmett was beating himself up over it, but she'd never blame him; nothing about what happened was his fault, and if anything, she owed him her life. "I'm still kicking. My old ass ancestor couldn't get rid of me, and neither can you."

Emmett grinned, liking that idea a lot. "Has your lover boy been to visit?" he asked, ignoring the fact that he could obviously smell the stagnant wet dog smell of the room.

Augustine nodded with a bright smile. "Every day," she responded, before laughing at Emmett's grumbling. "Surprised he isn't here right now."

It was Emmett's turn to shake his head. "Hell no; it's Emmett and August time right now," he argued, making a show of firmly planting his feet on the linoleum floor. She giggled at his antics, resting her head against her pillow that was propped up. He picked up the box, thrusting it forward. "Merry Christmas, Aug."

She took it in her hands, and the weight of it made her arms struggle. Emmett reached forward, helping her lower it onto her lap. "I couldn't get you anything, Em," was her response, swallowing down a hiccup.

"I never thought I'd be glad to hear a heart beat so much... to me, you being alive is the greatest gift I could ever get."

⋆☾ ゚。⋆

When both members of the Lahote family made their way towards Augustine's hospital room, all they could hear was unbridled, joyous laughter.

Rounding the corner and standing in the doorway, they were greeted by the sight of the recovering ravenette and Emmett, trying to complete a puzzle on top of the girl's lap. Given the uneven surface that they were working with, they were failing, obviously.

It seemed she still was able to sense Paul's presence, her head snapping towards the door. When she noticed the man behind the shifter, her smile widened. "Mr Lahote? What a surprise!" she exclaimed, really not expecting the company. "Shouldn't you two be at home right now? Roasting a Turkey or something?"

Sure, she'd known that Paul was planning on stopping by, but it was Christmas Day; she would've never blamed him for wanting to spend time with his family. But no, they showed up with gift bags in tow, and Augustine had nearly burst into tears.

Terrance let out a chuckle deep from his belly at that. "And let you spend Christmas alone? No chance, kid," was his easy response, coming to step beside his son. "Though, seems like you've got company anyway."

Next thing any of them knew, Emmett did the unthinkable. He rose from the chair, massive frame towering over the older man's, and put his hand forward. "Pleasure to meet you, sir," he greeted with extreme politeness, "I'm Emmett Cullen, Augustine's brother."

Personally, Paul and Augustine were looking at Emmett's figure with such bewilderment. Terrance was blissfully unaware of this, eagerly grasping the vampire's hand. "Nice to meet you too, son," he responded back, equally as nice as Emmett had just been. "Now, you two need some extra hands with that puzzle?"

Paul's eyes locked with Emmett's, the two of them exchanging the most subtle of nods to one another: a truce. The stocky vampire waved them forward.

"I'll go ask for two more chairs."

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

[ wyn's note ]

i cannot express how much auggie and emmett mean to me... SIBLING GOALS FORREAL!!! their theme song is hey brother by avicii, incase this chap's title didn't make that clear LOL

and a truce?! call that shit a christmas miracle.

we're in the final stretch... buckle in baddies. till the next one, xx