ミ✮ 𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧┆[n. kamo]

𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠: noritoshi kamo x fem!reader

𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭: 3908

𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲: in which a third year sorcerer dedicated to acting on her own terms has a soft spot for her lover

𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬: strong language, barely edited, talk of murder = angst by default, slight suggestive content, reader gives chaotic neutral vibes, the plot is kinda bland and mildly confusing

𝐕. 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐬 — okay, but the fact that kamo is so damn underrated is actually insane. he's freaking gorgeous. in case it wasn't obvious yet, stoic men are my favs

。・:*:・゚★

𝐍𝐈𝐌𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐆𝐋𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐃 briskly across the neck of her instrument, the vibration of those three strings being plucked in a succession which created a unique melody the young woman came up with. Under the mid-morning sunlight, she sat on a small boulder-like rock whilst cradling her custom shamisen—its body decorated with intricate cherry blossom petal patterns—in a firm hold as she, with her right hand glided the white and pink bachi over the strings at the base.

Warm air slipped beneath her sleek half ponytail and came to caress the back of her moist neck as butterflies danced around the girl, appearing to enjoy the music but in reality, only interested in her vibrant jasmine perfume. Moving her head in time with the rhythmic, hypnotic sounds she created, [Y/N]'s hand strummed relentlessly and inhumanly fast while her fingers handling the neck of the shamisen easily kept up.

Rather than a steady, more traditional sound that was supposed to be created with the instrument, [Y/N] insisted on a much more modern, heavy, and hurried approach—resembling that of a subtly metal-like musical arrangement. Even more impressive, the third year barely even took a peek down at the location of her fingers on the strings. Her wandering eyes stared out into the distance, occasionally turning her attention to the oddly shaped clouds in the distance.

Playing music worked to her advantage in coming to terms with once again having to participate in the ridiculous annual competition between her school and the Tokyo school. Truthfully, [Y/N] was pissed and slightly bitter. An upcoming mission of hers was given to someone else in her absence and instead of exorcising curses, she had to participate in childish games. And so, out of spite, the young woman decided to ignore everyone and everything.

Drawing in a comfortable breath, [Y/N]'s fingers slightly increased their pace and she almost found the peace to close her eyes. Until, of course, the presence of her lover loomed over her like a shadow. As if on cue, [Y/N] took her hands off the shamisen and gently licked at the tips of her fingers to soothe the numbness left behind by the strings. A knowing smirk tugged at her lips in the meantime.

"I see now why you insisted on lugging your precious instrument all the way to Tokyo. You've always been a natural at putting on a good performance and pretending to be a pristine girl. I've always thought that the [Y/L/N] clan raised a deceitful, arrogant devil."

The girl's boyfriend—or rather her fiancé declared unceremoniously, posture straight as the arrows he used. [Y/N]'s cat-like eyes shifted to the side and with that, she could partially see the mere outline of Noritoshi's body. The sorceress kept on licking away at her fingers like an injured animal biting at a wound on their paw. Another minimal gust of wind blew across the secluded courtyard area of the school, scattering fallen, crisp green leaves and lifting [Y/N]'s locks ever so gently. She proceeded to pull up the sleeves of her uniform to bear the heatwave.