𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

Start from the beginning

"When Emmett found her, she was human."

⋆☾ ゚。⋆

When he first met her, all Paul wanted, honestly wished for, was for Augustine to be human.

Things would've been easier; there would be no tension between his kind and hers, there would be no treaty like keeping them apart, and he wouldn't have had any ill feeling towards her for what she was. He never wanted it to be this way and now, his selfishness was coming back to bite him in the ass.

The universe was making him choke on his own words.

The Forks hospital waiting room was already small, but it felt smaller due to the various members from both packs and a lone member of the Cullen family filling the space.

Emmett's stocky stature was sat in an uncomfortable looking hospital chair, staring at his hands unblinkingly. Sam disappeared to get information from the charge nurse while Paul instantly sought out the vampire who found his girl in the forest.

Before he could even utter out a single word, Emmett beat him to it. "The others needed to hunt," he said, advocating on behalf of his family with his own pitch dark eyes. He hadn't joined them. "Carlisle's in there with her." He hadn't said her name. Hadn't wanted to make it real.

The Lahote boy nodded, slumping into the seat next to him. "You need to tell me what happened," he grit out, not willing to take no for an answer.

Emmett wordlessly fished out his phone, the corner of the screen twinged in something that was red and had since dried. Paul didn't need to guess whose blood it was, only taking the phone as his stomach threatened to empty itself.

"She left me a voicemail," there was little emotion in Emmett's voice, but his fists were unfurling and curling inward simultaneously while he spoke. "I missed the call by a minute."

Paul clicked the phone on and found that the voicemail was the first thing that appeared on the screen, and it was only a few seconds long and already at the end. He used his thumb to swipe it backward, starting from the beginning, as he pressed play and lifted the phone up.

"Em—" there was a violent hiccup that sounded. "Em I'm in a lot of t–trouble."

Ragged breathing, it sounded wet. "B–by the creek," she grounded out, a cough disrupting the rest of her sentence.

A few moments of silence among the hollowed wheezing. "D–don't tell him—" a deep breath before she continued with the most pitiful whimper, "don't let him see me die, Emmett."

The recording clicked to a stop, and Paul barely registered the crunching sound of the phone in his grasp. Staring at the remnants of the now broken phone, he handed it back to the vampire who merely took the heap in silence. "Sorry," he muttered.

Emmett didn't say anything to that. "Esme found a letter in her room," he began saying, hunching forward in his seat while avoiding the shifter's gaze. "Someone lured her out there. Someone tried to kill my sister."

Paul's anger was replaced by a type of sickness he had never felt better. It was a sort of dazed sickness that made him want to rip everyone to shreds while subsequently yak all over the pristine linoleum floor.