chapter-3 The Proposal...

Shaurya's pov -

I woke up to the familiar sounds of the morning-the soft rustle of leaves outside my window and the distant chirping of birds. Stretching, I felt refreshed after a good night's sleep. As I got ready for the day, thoughts of work and the upcoming week filled my mind.

Heading downstairs to the kitchen, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee greeted me. My family was already gathered around the table, my father engrossed in the morning newspaper, my mother bustling about, preparing breakfast.

"Good morning, everyone," I greeted them, taking my seat at the table.

"Good morning, Shaurya," mom said, placing a plate of hot parathas in front of me. "Did you sleep well?"

I nodded, buttering a paratha. "Yes, I did. What's the plan for today?"

Dad looked up from his newspaper, a smile playing on his lips. "Well, Shaurya, I have some news for you."

I raised an eyebrow, curious. "What news, Dad?"

"I have fixed your marriage," dad announced, a hint of excitement in his voice.

My eyes widened in surprise. "Marriage? But Dad, I'm not ready for marriage yet."

"I understand, son, but I believe it's time," my father said. "I've sent you the details of the girl. Take a look and let me know what you think."

I hesitated, unsure of how to react. As I read the details of the girl-her name, background, and interests-a sense of apprehension washed over me. She was only 20 years old, and the age gap between us seemed significant.

"Dad, she's only 20," I said, looking up from my phone. "That's too young."

My father smiled, dismissing my concern. "Age is just a number, Shaurya. Your mother and I have a 9-year age gap, and we are happy, aren't we?"it doesn't matter and i have given my word to them.

I paused, considering my father's words. "It matters to me, Papa. I don't think I can go ahead with this."

His smile faltered slightly, but he remained composed. "I understand, Shaurya. I won't force you into anything. Take your time to think about it."

I nodded, relieved that my father understood my perspective. I knew that this decision would impact my future, and I wanted to make sure it was the right one. With a heavy heart, I declined the proposal, knowing that it was the right choice for me, even if it meant disappointing my family.

"I spent the whole day with Shivangi, Mom, Dadu, Dada, and Shivansh. We went to watch a movie and did some shopping. The joy of spoiling them after so many days feels surreal."

Ishika's pov -

Sitting in the passenger seat of Papa's car, I watched the familiar sights of Varanasi pass feeling like i am the main character of some movie the lights were lit on the street, and everything looked very beautiful. The gentle hum of the engine was accompanied by the melodious notes of an old Bollywood song, filling the car with nostalgia. I smiled, recognizing the tune-it was one of Papa's favorites, and we often listened to it on our drives.

"Ishika kya hua, sb thik hai na?"papa asked me.

(Ishika what happened, everything is fine right?)

"Ji Papa, I'm fine," I replied, "Just enjoying the music."

Papa nodded, his eyes back on the road. "How's your study going?"

"Things are going well, Papa. Exams are next month."

As we neared home, I felt a sense of relief wash over me. Home at last. Stepping out of the car, I was greeted by Ma at the front door, a warm smile on her face.

"Welcome home, beta," she said, enveloping me in a hug.

"Thank you, Ma," I replied, feeling a rush of warmth and comfort.

After greeting my mother, I headed upstairs to my room. It felt good to be back, surrounded by familiar sights and sounds. I took a moment to breathe, then proceeded to freshen up, feeling rejuvenated after the long journey.

After freshening up, I came downstairs to have dinner with my family. As I entered the dining room, I could sense tension in the air. My parents seemed preoccupied, exchanging glances with each other but saying nothing.

I sat down at the table, and for a few moments, there was an awkward silence as we began eating. I could feel that something was on their minds, but they seemed hesitant to bring it up.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Papa cleared his throat. "Ishika, there's something we need to talk to you about."

I looked up, feeling a knot form in my stomach. "What is it, Papa?"

He exchanged a glance with Ma before continuing. "We have fixed your marriage, beta."

The words hung in the air, and for a moment, I was speechless. Marriage? I hadn't even thought about it, let alone considered it. My mind raced with a million thoughts, but all I could manage was a whispered, "What?"

Ma reached out and took my hand. "It's a good match, Ishika. We've known the family for years, and they are very nice people. We think it will be a good match for you."

I sat there, trying to process the news. Marriage? It felt like a distant dream, something that happened to other people, not me. But here it was, staring me in the face.

A long, silence stretched between us, and then my mother spoke again, his voice gentle but firm, "Think about it, Ishika. We expect a yes in the morning."

I nodded, my mind racing. Without a word, I excused myself from the table and rushed to the terrace, needing some space to think. Thoughts swirled through my mind like a storm-marriage, exams, my future. I felt overwhelmed, unsure of what to do next.

As I sat on the terrace, the weight of my emotions bore down on me like a heavy burden. I couldn't shake the feeling of betrayal, of being trapped in a life not of my choosing. My mind drifted to my father's infidelity, a painful memory that still haunted me.

I thought about my mother, about the sacrifices she had made for our family. Did she regret her choices? Did she ever wish she had taken a different path? I couldn't bear to think about it.

With a heavy heart, I reached for my phone and dialed Priya's number. As the phone rang, I felt a surge of emotion. Priya was more than just a friend-she was my confidant, the one person who had always been there for me, no matter what.

"Hey, Priya," I said, my voice trembling with emotion.

"Hello?" Priya's voice came through the phone, filled with concern.
"Ishika, what's wrong? You sound upset," Priya replied, her tone instantly reassuring.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I tried to find the words. "Priya, my parents... they've fixed my marriage. They expect an answer tomorrow morning."

There was a stunned silence on the other end of the line, then Priya spoke, her voice filled with disbelief, "What? Ishika, that's... that's unbelievable. I can't believe they would do this without even consulting you."I nodded, even though she couldn't see me. "I know, Priya. I don't know what to do. I feel trapped, like I have no say in my own life."

"Listen to me, Ishika," Priya said, her voice firm, "You have every right to make your own decisions. Don't let anyone else dictate your life for you. We'll figure this out together, okay?"

I felt a surge of gratitude for having Priya by my side. With her support, I knew I could face whatever challenges lay ahead i knew i couldn't say no to them but i had my other ways right.
With all this thought i went to sleep.

Hope you guys liked the chapter.

What's your thought on age gap marriage?

Please vote and comment.