𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

Start from the beginning

The underlying message there was crystal clear in her ears: do not engage with Alec. Not that she would've, considering he was likely coming to kill her, too, along with the rest of them.

So much for making a vampire friend on my own, she scowled internally, not bothering to acknowledge the uptick of a smirk on Edward's face.

"Got it; no Alec."

⋆☾ ゚。⋆

It was later that evening, and Augustine found herself once again on the phone with Paul discussing the latest troubles that her family was facing. Then again, it was also the latest troubles the packs were facing too, considering both Sam and Jacob volunteered their groups of boys to help.

"So I guess it looks like we're teaming up again, Paulie," she sighed out, making the trek up to her bedroom. "Can I count on you to watch my six?"

A scoff sounded from the other end of the line. "I'll be watching your everything after the last battle," he told her. "Can't have my girl missing any other limbs, right?"

Yeah, heart eyes. She played it cool, twisting open her door. "Yeah, totally," she responded, but the chuckle from the boy on the phone. "But only if you—"

The phone slipped from her grasp at the sight of the white, undisclosed envelope sitting in the middle of her bed. The window was open with the faintest crack, and she knew damn well that she'd closed it before she left for the reservation.

"Auggie? Auggie what is it?" she heard him call out, trying to get her attention. But, the girl was almost frozen with a sudden fear she hadn't truly felt since the night she died.

It was the type of fear that enveloped a person when they knew they were about to die.

It was the type of fear that usually would've sent Jasper running into the room, but oh, where was he?

Hastily picking up the phone from the ground, she mumbled a few words before hanging up. "I'll call you back later, I love you."

"Auggie, hold o—"

Tossing her phone onto her desk, she rounded her bed and carefully picked up the envelope. It was void of any inscriptions or postal stickers, and it was lacking it's usual Volturi seal. She had half a mins to consider that maybe someone else had sent her mail, but the timing of this proved otherwise.

Plus, if it was her weekly letter from Carmen, it would've also included a care package of the things she liked. There was no package here, only the letter that seemed heavy in her hands.

Augustine instantly tore it open, sharp nail cutting across the top to reveal a single piece of paper. It was unlike the parchment the Volturi used and it felt lighter, kind of like the regular stationary you'd find at a craft store.

The envelope itself floated down onto the ground as she held the paper in her hands, and although the timing was odd, the contents of the letter told her that this was not from the Volturi.

No, it was from someone else.

"THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE, AUGUSTINE DUBOIS.