Once in a lifetime

Adrenaline rush pumps through my veins as l throw punch after punch to the man lying beneath me

I love the feeling of power.That thrill you get when you know you hold someone's entire existence in your hands.

The punches leave my hands wounded but l don't care because that's exactly what l want, PAIN.

Pain gives me power to fight more because l know l should rise even after fighting so hard.I let go of the helpless man underneath me after a while.His hand goes limp and l know he is not dead.

I dont feel any remorse as l stare at his bloodied face.He looks dead.Yes l fight as the Phoenix for the money but it's more than that.I need pain because constant pain gives me power.

"We have a winner.The Phoenix",the announcer shouts and the crowd erupts in cheers but all I can hear is faint distant noises.

Everyone is cheering for me but l feel the total opposite.I feel dead.

I later on receive my cash.With this amount which l am going to add to my savings it's enough for what l plan to do in a few days.

I changed into a simple all black outfit.I tied up my hair into a ponytail and wore a cap over it.Could not risk anyone finding out my identity.It only harbors enemies

I existed the old looking building.It was crazy to imagine what happens in those walls.I climbed onto my motorbike and zoomed away into the darkness knowing exactly what awaits for me at the place l call home.

I arrived at home after a few minutes.l got off the bike and removed my helmet.Grabbing my duffle bag l carried it over my shoulder and entered the house.

Instead of the warm cozy feeling you get when you reach home l was welcomed by a slap to my cheek.

"That's going to leave a print",I said as l raised my head up to look at Martina my messed up stepmother.

She was pretty much of a mess even though she was a make-up artist."Where do you think you are going young lady",she said pulling me back by my ponytail when l ignored and continued on to my room.

I tilted my face and spat out "I don't need your nonsense Martina.Leave me alone for now.l am going to be out of your hair very soon.Bare with me for now"

"The only nonsense in here is you and you are going to regret it",she said as she continued with her abuse.Hitting me at several parts.I welcomed the pain and l did not fight back.I mean what was the point anyway.

I fell to floor and l laid there still unmoving as she continued.A single tear strayed away from my eye and l didn't bother wiping it away.The only thought that comforted me was the song my mom used to sing for me ringing in my head.

"Mom no",l could hear Sophie and Santi screaming.

"Hey there Anita wake up",Santi screamed while cradling my face.l remained quiet and l stood up after a lot of difficulty."I want to be alone right now"l uttered and left as Sophie sank to the floor crying at the sight of me.

I passed by the living room only to see Martina drinking wine as she watched the drama laughing so loudly my ear almost bled.

I arrived in my room and laid on the bed staring at the ceiling.

"Did l deserve that",l asked myself.

I searched for my laptop and l found it.Logging in into the Hillside University scholarship portal to see whether l was accepted or not.

The laptop almost fell from my grasp as l looked at the screen.In bold was the word Accepted  and l almost screamed out loud despite the pain l felt all over my body.

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and l had to grasp it with ready hands.

With a newfound hope at freedom l wasted no time.I opened up my savings box and it was more than enough to sustain me.

The scholarship provided food,residence and education as well as sport and l was more than happy to accept it.

I packed up my clothes into a suitcase.All of my important documents l packed them into a satchel.While rummaging through my things a necklace fell from the cupboard and l picked it up.A small note also fell with it.

It was written

'Live with hope,Dad'

I smiled at the small gift and l wore it around my neck.I booked a flight from Spain to America online, and it was scheduled for tomorrow evening.

It was my shot at freedom and l was definitely not going to let it slide.

___________________End of chapter 1_________//

Anita Raquel Alvarez
19