Chapter Eighteen

Renee could admit that she had been touched. That willingness to help them when they were in desperate need, she was deeply grateful for it.

But now what was she supposed to do? What was she supposed to say?

Alec was on Owen's back, while she was being carried by Kane once again. She could see Alec silently clinging onto Owen. His tiny hands twisted tightly around the man's neck for support. His dark eyes stared straight ahead, as if he was willing them to move even faster.

She was still sitting stiffly against Kane's back, unsure of where to put her hands as she rested them against his shoulders. She didn't say anything for a long time. She didn't know what to say.

She had been afraid, so very afraid. Nae was absolutely terrified of that man and she had inherited it. Worse, she didn't know how to handle it.

The men didn't move slowly, and they never seemed to grow tired and needed to stop. However, Renee knew that couldn't be true. She could feel the muscles in Kane's shoulders bunching beneath her hands and felt the sweat that was slowly accumulating on his skin. They were running. Because of them. And they didn't even know why.

Renee closed her eyes and suddenly couldn't help but lean against the solid back in front of her. She was scared and wasn't sure what to do. Ever since she'd gotten into this stupid world, she'd been afraid of one thing or another, and she was so very tired of being frightened. Without realizing it, she curled up onto the back in front of her silently seeking some form of comfort and warmth from it.

Suddenly the back she was leaning against rumbled as Kane spoke softly. "Talking about it might help."

Renee looked up, her gaze studying the back of the head in front of her. His hair was dark and thick and lay in a braid that he had pulled to his front so she could ride comfortably. His eyes stayed focused ahead, as if he wasn't really paying attention, but she had no doubt he was.

She pursed her lips, and once more leaned against his back. Her eyes turned away to stare at the trees that flashed by.

"He's a... very bad man." She simply said softly.

Kane's voice was light when he asked. "Bad how?"

She simply shook her head, not sure how to answer. To this world that was still young, they would not care that he beat his wife and daughter. They wouldn't care that he used the woman he mated with only to get a son that he can use and brag about. Beatings were normal everyday affairs, as long as one didn't kill the other, the tribe didn't care or get too involved. And the only reason killing wasn't allowed was simply because it invited evil into the tribe. Fighting and killing other tribes was allowed, but only after the ceremonies were completed to avoid the evil spirits that tried to invade one's soul.

"He wasn't lying. Not really. We did run away, but it wasn't because I was unhappy. I'm not even sure why we left. We were told to run... so we did."

Kane was quiet for a few moments before he asked. "Who told you to run?"

Renee's first instinct was to say her name, but she was no longer Renee in her old world. She was Nae in this world now, and Nae would call her differently.

"...Our mother." Renee's eyes flashed as she answered softly. "She didn't say why. She just... slowly gathered everything. A few days ago, she told us we needed to run. At first, we were together, but I fell down a hill. She followed with Alec and then... she said Marcus already knew we had left and was already chasing us. So, she put Alec on my back and told us to run south. She ran a different way to... draw them away."

Kane was quiet once more as he focused on the land in front of him, his thoughts swirling as he stared at the forest in front of them. Flashes of memories danced through his thoughts as he thought back to that horrible scene he had seen before. His gaze grew even more grave. The body he had seen before tied to the post... it was small. It could have easily been a woman.