A Fresh Start

Seung-hyun was returning home after his part-time job at a trade shop, which barely paid the rent and daily meals. He was 25 years old, with no future, no girlfriend, no own house; the definition of failure would suit him, but it wasn't always like this. Two years ago, he was serving in the Korean military at a NATO base in Spain, aspiring to become an officer. It wasn't a distant dream, but now nothing remained.

As he waited for the traffic signal to give pedestrians the right of way, he heard a loud honk behind him and felt a excruciating pain in his spine

As he waited for the traffic signal to give pedestrians the right of way, he heard a loud honk behind him and felt a excruciating pain in his spine. His vision was darkening, and a thought crossed his mind: "Is this death?"

Moments later, he felt peace, a sense of calmness, as if he were floating in a lake, feeling everything and nothing at the same time. After a while, he felt a tug on his head, he was wet, feeling cold, the wind on his skin. "What was all this?" he thought. He couldn't open his eyes, perhaps out of natural human instinct, he cried, but it was strange, his voice, his cry, wasn't the same, it was sharper, more strident, it was... of a baby.

He lost consciousness, and regained it, only to lose it again, feeling hungry, crying, feeling something in his mouth, a liquid. He knew what it all seemed like, but it wasn't easy to accept.

When consciousness came, all he had were his memories to pass the time, remembering the books he had read in courses in Spain, the movies he had watched in adolescence, the girls he had once loved. Over time, he remembered more and more details, the titles and prefaces of the books, very specific scenes from the movies, and even the scent of a girl who had once smiled at him on the bus.

Time passed, about a year, when consciousness returned once again, he could see again, he was in what seemed like a bed made of straw, in a wooden house, different from Korean houses, resembling the poor houses on the outskirts of Madrid. When he cried, he realized that a blonde woman had come to see him, and his suspicions were confirmed, he was still a baby in her arms, after being breastfed, sleep came.

 When he cried, he realized that a blonde woman had come to see him, and his suspicions were confirmed, he was still a baby in her arms, after being breastfed, sleep came

His days became the same, and to keep from losing his mind, he clung to memories, remembering elementary school classes, then high school classes, and then the army.

By the time he was three, he was already walking, not as much as he would have liked, he could walk around the house when one of his parents got distracted, and he walked around the village with that woman who could be defined as the mother of that body he was in. The language that those people spoke seemed like the German of the NATO officers who were also in Madrid during his time in the military, but the language was different...