15: Helpless Little Thing

Start from the beginning

"Don't you have a job?" you snap. "How are you always here? It must be nice not having any responsibilities and being able to leech off your dad."

"Aw, that's rude," Kai says, clearly unfazed. You keep trying to wriggle out of his grasp, but with the disparity in strength, it's impossible for you to break free. He hugs you tighter and rests his chin on top of your head. "Also, I'm not a leech. I'm finishing up my degree right now, so I've just got homework and exams from time to time. And then once I'm done with that, I'm gonna apply to the police academy."

You blink.

Did I just hear that right?

Rather than continuing to struggle, you peer up at Kai, mouth agape. "You want to become a police officer?"

"Why not?" he chuckles. "I'm a perfect fit for the job. I can easily handle a physically-demanding position. Criminals won't be able to get away with shit once I get my badge. They'll be too scared."

Perfect fit for the job? Him? The same guy who assaulted Caleb for no reason and landed him in the hospital?

You're literally about to lose your damn mind.

"Bullshit," you grimace. "Don't fuck with me. I don't care how good your dad's connections are. Someone like you is not fit to be a police officer. You're supposed to be protecting people, not hurting them. Do you really think they'll accept someone as violent as you into the program?"

Kai's eyes narrow. "I don't appreciate you being a bitch. Vampires are so much stronger than humans. Since you're all so damn weak, it goes without saying that we should be the ones enforcing the law. Crime rates would drop exponentially, and I'm sure you know that as well. Once criminals see what they're up against, it should be enough of a deterrent to the other shitheads looking to cause trouble."

He tightens his hold on you, something which is clearly meant to intimidate you and once again reinforce the difference in strength. It's true that vampires would probably have an easier time apprehending criminals. They run faster, have more durable bodies, have sharper senses... they could easily use all of that to their advantage.

But with relations between humans and vampires being as strained as they are, you doubt the general public would get behind something like this. It would do the exact opposite of making them feel safe. People already fear police brutality incidents enough as it is, but knowing that a powerful vampire would be wielding that sort of authority? Especially a remorseless, volatile vampire like Kai?

Putting someone like him in charge is clearly a recipe for disaster.

"If you're serious about working on the police force, I'd say the least you can do is stop threatening to beat people up," you scowl. "Like the other day, when you forced me and Caleb to hang out with you. I'm not sure the academy will accept you if they find out you're so quick to resort to violence. Assuming they don't already know."

Kai smiles and pats your head. "Don't worry about me, babe. My old man will put in a good word for me. And I'm sure plenty of people have gotten into fistfights before, even those who've been working as police officers for years."

Beating the shit out of someone for no reason is more than just a fistfight. It's considered a serious assault. Aren't you supposed to be well-versed in the law?

"Don't call me babe," you glare, and finally, he allows you to step away from him.

God, what a joke. Discovering that he's aiming to become a police officer, and knowing that his adoptive father will likely pull all sorts of strings to get him there... this world really is disgustingly corrupt. It's almost laughable.