T H I R T Y - E I G H T

Start from the beginning

Aiden chuckled a bit as he stood up from the closed toilet seat and turned towards Kaia, holding out his hand. "Well, if we're given the chance, follow me."

Kaia raised an eyebrow, though placed her hand in his own, allowing him to lead her out the bathroom and down the hall. "Where are we going?" She questioned, quickly recognizing the way to the back door. Kaia held a frown on her lips as she allowed Aiden to pull her out of the back door but her eyebrows furrow as she tugged back on him upon noticing the pouring rain. "Wait, Aiden, you have a concussion and just died, going outside is a bad idea in general, but going out when it's raining is like above and beyond a bad idea."

Aiden turned back at her, pouting, "Kaiaaaaa" He dragged her name out in a whine as he tugged at her hand, pulling her towards him and towards the porch door. "I promise I'll be fine, I let you do stupid stuff right after you died, let me have this."

Kaia frowned, watching him for a moment as she thought over his words, she hadn't really done anything stupid right after she died, so what was he talking about, "Aiden I didn't run out into pouring rain, the last thing you need right now is to get sick, actually no, that applies to the both of us, we both don't need to get sick."

Aiden groaned, "Kai, please, just five minutes." He begged her, continuing to pull her closer and closer towards the door as he noticed that while she was fighting back against him verbally, her body was allowing him to pull her closer without much fight back. "I need some fresh air, you can stay here-"

"-I'm coming with you." She cuts him off with a frown lining her lips and Aiden grinned, not allowing her to have another moment to take back her words as he pushed the door open and ran out the door, dragging her out behind her. Kaia winced at the sudden pick up in speed, but couldn't help the small laugh that left her lips at the overly excited smile that found its way onto his lips as he led them through his yard and towards the garden his mother had. "This is so stupid!"

Aiden grinned back at her as they found themselves in the middle of his mother's well taken care of garden. "You're still going along with it."

"I don't know why." She shook her head as she turned, looking up at him as the rain soaked through their clothes, Aiden grinned down at her as her hair stuck to her forehead and her cheeks. She looked like a mess, but Aiden had never seen a sight more breathtaking than her in that moment as she was smiling up at him with that beautiful smile of his and he could feel all sensible thoughts leaving his mind as it goes completely blank. "This is hands down the stupidest thing you've ever dragged me into, I mean if we get sick, we're so fucked for the phantom realm-"

"Kaia," Aiden cuts her off and Kaia looks up at him, "we're both going to be just fine." He reassures her with a soft smile, his hand coming up to cup her cheek as he brushes off the hair sticking to her skin. "A little rain's never hurt anyone, unless you're a witch and you're not telling me." He raised a teasing eyebrow and Kaia huffed out an amused breath. "Which I'm guessing you aren't considering you aren't melting away in my arms."

Kaia couldn't formulate a response, her entire mind focused on the feeling of his thumb brushing away at the hair on her cheek and the way that he was looking down at her with a look that no one else had given her before. His eyes were soft and his smile was stomach churningly sweet as he stared down at her. Kaia wanted to tell him he was wrong, she was melting into his arms, though it had absolutely nothing to do with the rain and everything to do with the way he stared at her.

Kaia had known before this that there was no denying she liked Aiden, she truly did. Aiden was everything she's ever needed in a person, not even wanted, no he was a needed in her life at this point. He proved just about everything she once thought true about herself wrong, he's changed her for the better in ways she never once realized were flawed before meeting him. He had come into her life as though he had always been there and Kaia was finding it hard to believe she's only known the boy for a mere few months rather than all her life.