chapter fourteen

Tw: crying, Tyler, attempted sa

As the morning sun rose higher in the sky, casting its golden rays through the windows of Nick's bedroom, the reality of the day ahead began to sink in. Today was the day Nick had to return to school after their much-needed respite, and the weight of it pressed down on him like a heavy burden.

Nick sat on the edge of his bed, his stomach churning with anxiety as he stared blankly at the floor. Charlie stood beside him, his hand resting gently on Nick's shoulder in a silent gesture of support. But despite Charlie's comforting presence, Nick felt a sense of overwhelming dread building within him, threatening to consume him whole.

"I can't do it, Charlie," Nick whispered, his voice thick with emotion. "I don't want to go back to school."

Charlie's heart ached at the anguish in Nick's voice, the pain of his struggles echoing in his own soul. He pulled Nick into a tight embrace, holding him close as tears welled up in his eyes.

"I know it's hard, Nick," Charlie murmured, his voice soft and soothing. "But you're not alone. I'll be there with you."

But Nick couldn't shake the suffocating grip of fear that held him captive, his mind swirling with thoughts of Tyler and the horrors he had endured at his hands. No amount of reassurance from Charlie could ease the torment that gnawed at his soul, leaving him feeling utterly helpless and alone.

Just then, the sound of footsteps echoed from the hallway, and Nick's heart seized with panic as he realized his mother was approaching. He didn't want her to see him like this, weak and broken, but before he could protest, the door swung open, and Sarah entered the room, her brow furrowed with concern.

"Nicky, sweetheart, what's wrong?" Sarah asked, her voice filled with worry as she took in the sight of her son trembling on the edge of the bed.

Nick choked back a sob, unable to find the words to articulate the storm of emotions raging within him. But as he looked into his mother's eyes, he saw the love and concern reflected there, and he knew he couldn't keep his pain hidden any longer.

"I... I don't want to go to school," Nick finally confessed, his voice barely above a whisper. "I'm scared, Mum. I'm scared of what might happen if I go back there."

Sarah's heart broke at the anguish in her son's voice, the weight of his pain crashing down on her like a tidal wave. She crossed the room in two swift strides, gathering Nick into her arms and holding him close as he trembled with the force of his emotions.

"It's okay, baby," Sarah whispered, her voice thick with emotion. "You can't keep this bottled up inside. You need to tell me what's wrong."

As Nick buried his face in his mother's shoulder, the floodgates of his pain finally opened, and he poured out the horrors he had endured at the hands of Tyler. With each word he spoke, a weight lifted from his shoulders, and he felt a glimmer of hope begin to flicker in the darkness that had consumed him for so long.

As Nick poured out the horrors he had endured at the hands of Tyler, Sarah listened in stunned silence, her heart breaking with each word he spoke. The weight of his pain crashed down on her like a tidal wave, leaving her feeling helpless and overwhelmed.

When Nick finally fell silent, his breaths coming in ragged gasps, Sarah held him close, her arms a comforting shield against the storm of emotions raging within him. Tears pricked at the corners of her eyes as she struggled to find the right words to comfort her son.

"Oh, Nick," Sarah whispered, her voice thick with anguish. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that. No one should ever have to ever go through anything like that."