I sat up straight, snapping my eyes open and clutching my arms around myself.

And there he was, beautiful as ever and sitting next to me like it was the most mundane part of his day.

"I can see how you're a magnet for vampires now. What was that little display? Your neck might as well've been a flashing billboard," he said a silky voice.

"Harry," I said, glancing around the car at the other humans. He sat there in a pair of jeans and a graphic t-shirt, but he was far from casual. No one seemed to notice the man sitting across from them with red eyes. They were all tending to their children, reading the newspaper, or chatting amongst themselves. Even if he didn't look like a monster, he was undeniably attractive. Why weren't they at least looking at him for that?

"Please at least try to not get yourself killed," he replied at a normal volume and no one even looked our way. "I don't want to have to babysit you on top of everything else."

His words rattled around my insides, carving out little pieces of me every time they scraped my edges. Edward had requested a similar sentiment that led me to be an adrenaline junkie for months, almost getting myself killed more than once. It had taken me a year to settle back into my careful wits, but every now and then I still itched to take my motorcycle for a joyride across the backroads of the Pacific Northwest.

"Sorry. I didn't know vampires were avid Tube commuters," I said without lowering my voice or censoring my words. He didn't seem to mind my declaration.

"Oh, you'd be surprised. It's easy to snatch a distracted human waiting a little too close to the tunnel." He smiles, as if remembering a fond memory. "And the predictability of when the next train arrives... the maintenance tunnels for a quick get away. It's almost too easy, if I'm being honest."

My stomach churned in disgust. I would never get used to the sickening advantage that vampires had over humans. We were nothing but livestock to them.

"Much easier than going out hunting for a mountain lion," he continued.

I turned away from him, simultaneously wishing that someone would notice my cry for help and that I would continue to be invisible. I wanted nothing more than for a kind woman to say there you are, I thought I'd never find you. Let's go, we're going to be late, as she hurried me away from this man who sat too close to me and had a sinister expression across his face.

"I thought you wanted to contact me over the phone? You said it was easier," I questioned.

"I'm old fashioned, Bella," he reminded me as if it explained everything. Instead I just wondered how old he really was. "I prefer speaking in person. And when I heard that you were planning on meeting some man across town after dark, I had to cancel some very important plans to escort you safely to and from."

"How did yo—"

"Now, I'd like for you to explain what's so important about this meeting that I had to inconvenience myself on such short notice," he said with a hint of annoyance in his tone.

"I'm looking for an apartment."

This surprised him. "In Peckham?"

"Yes."

"That's quite a ways from your university. Why would you move that far?"

"It's cheaper." I shifted in my seat, nervous under his constant scrutiny.

"Is that before or after all the Tube fares?"

"Peckham Rye Station," the automated voice announced from above us, allowing me to avoid his questions.