Letter #15

Dear Eli,

Thank you.

I do not know what else I can say other than that.

You said you went into our meeting full of nerves, but if you were in any way nervous, I could not tell. I, on the other hand, was terrified. So many people have changed their opinion on me once we met, but you did not. You managed to calm that fear within minutes and I will forever be grateful to you for that.

Meeting you was perhaps the best decision I made, despite those fears. You were everything I thought you would be, and more, without caring that I was blind. I know you wrote that you were worried about disappointing me, but you lived up to the image you created in your letters and so much more than that.

You were funny, thoughtful, and considerate. I loved hearing you talk about your enjoyment of school and your love of all things scientific and mathematics. Most of it went over my head, but you were so enthusiastic that I could not help but feel the same way. Not only that, but you encouraged me to speak of my own interests and asked all the right questions. There was never a moment of uncomfortable silence, or a moment where I felt like I had to worry.

Never have I felt so relaxed around someone, except perhaps Victoria who is telling me I need to say this or she won't write anymore letters for me.

I hope that we can meet again soon. Mother is reluctant to let me go anywhere alone, but I long for freedom, or at least a little bit of independence. It is something I miss more than my vision.

We can arrange another meeting soon, just let me know.

Yours,

Samuel

~~~

First Published - April 22nd, 2024