Loki clasps his hands together in front of him, forcing himself not to pick at his fingers. He doesn't expect them to recognize his nervous ticks, but he already feels so uncomfortable doing this. He doesn't want to do anything that could make it worse.

It is, rather unfortunately, Bucky who speaks first. "Did your mom tell you to apologize?"

Loki scoffs. "No, she did not!" he says incredulously. "I am apologizing because I am an adult who can recognize when they've treated their friends poorly. My mother had nothing to do with this." Yes, she may have suggested he remind them how much their recklessness scares him, but she didn't tell him to apologize! He's not fifty years old anymore! He can apologize without being told to do it, and honestly, he's offended by the implication!

Bucky just chuckles, far more amused by this than he should be, and Loki has half a mind to retract his apology then and there.

Fortunately, Steve steps in with a more sincere, "I know, and I'm sorry, too. I'm really not trying to get myself killed."

"But could you perhaps actively try not to get yourself killed?" Loki asks. "Because between the events in Lagos and your fight with Stark, your passive attitude does not seem to be working."

Steve just shrugs. "I'm still alive, aren't I?"

Loki rolls his eyes, but he has to admit, Steve is much more endearing in his annoyingness than Bucky is right now – and that's only partially because he likes Steve more by default.

"Is the child here?" Loki asks. "The Spider?" He doesn't really feel that he owes him an apology, but he'd at least like the kid to know that he can be a nice person.

Steve shakes his head. "Banner took him home last night," he says.

"Is Banner back?" He also doesn't feel he owes Bruce an apology, but he'd still like to see him, just because he's him and Loki likes him.

"Yeah, he's actually the only other person here, I think," Steve tells him. "He's probably in the lab."

Loki cocks his head to the side. "Where did everybody else go?"

"Clint, Nat, and the twins went to the Bartons'," Steve says. "They want to lie low until the whole thing with the Accords is over. And Stark is probably back in Malibu with Pepper – he didn't really say."

That isn't really everybody else, but he'll assume, then, that Sam, Rhodey, and Scott all went home. It's really just the four of them now? That's... weird. Is that weird? It feels weird. Still, it's probably for the best. They've pissed him off too much in the last 48 hours for Loki to actually want to see them all again today.

Stebe gestures with his head to the TV. "We're watching the Lord of the Rings movies if you want to join us."

"Not at all," Loki replies. "I am going to search for Banner. I hope you enjoy your movies." He gives them an awkward smile, and then he's off.

That was a painful conversation. He was trying to be so good. He was trying to take responsibility and apologize. He was trying to verbalize his frustration and his fears in a way that explained but didn't excuse his actions, in hopes that his friends would be more cautious in the future. And he feels like all he got from that was some brief semi-public humiliation. Did your mom tell you to apologize? his ass. That was uncalled for.

But that's why he's looking for Bruce instead. Bruce is never condescending like that. He's a brilliant man who makes a point to always treat him – and everyone – with kindness. That's what Loki needs right now.