Chapter 29

It feels like an ordinary day. That's always nice. Steve just got back from his morning run. He took a nice refreshing shower. He went to grab Loki for lunch. Everything is going as expected.

Until Loki pauses in the middle of the hallway, his brows furrowed as he glances around. Steve looks around, too, but he can't figure out what has Loki distracted.

"What?" Steve asks. "What is it?"

"Did you not tell me he was here or did you not know?" Loki asks.

Steve gives him a puzzled look. "Did I not tell you who was here?"

"You didn't know, then."

Steve looks at him expectantly. He's going to explain this, right? He's going to say who it is? He's not just going to leave him guessing?

A wave of green light overtakes him, and suddenly he's standing in his Asgardian clothing, his suit nowhere to be seen. That just confuses Steve even more. What the hell is he doing?

Loki begins walking with a purpose, no longer a leisurely stroll to the kitchen. He doesn't head to the elevator; he takes the stairs, and he pauses at the base of each flight of stairs before he proceeds to the next. Steve has pretty much figured out that Loki's not going to tell him what this is about, but he does his best to keep up so he can figure it out himself.

Finally, they're on the right floor, and Loki cuts ahead of him with that overdramatic strut of his. Steve can hear the voices at this point, too, though they're difficult to make out. The first one he pinpoints is Tony, probably just because he's being loud. Then it's Natasha, who just sounds annoyed. Clint is there, too, clearly feeling the same way. And then he hears...

Oh.

That's who Loki was talking about.

"You really ought to lower your voices," Loki says, and Steve can practically hear his smirk. "I could hear you arguing from five floors up."

"Speak of the devil," Tony mutters, gesturing to him with the wave of his hand.

Steve steps out from behind Loki, standing against the wall to survey the damage that someone is definitely going to leave behind, though he's not yet sure who it will be.

"Director Fury," Loki says, giving him a nod in greeting.

"Loki; just the man I was looking for," Fury says. "Stark wouldn't tell me where you were. I was starting to think I'd have to search the whole tower."

"So you were looking for me," Loki remarks.

"I certainly didn't come for a playdate with your new friends," Fury tells him, and the corners of Loki's lips twitch upwards in a wry smile. Fury crosses his arms, eyeing him up and down. "And how are you holding up, ant? Enjoying your new home under the boot?"

Steve has absolutely no idea what that's supposed to mean, but the somewhat amused look on Loki's face makes it clear that he does.

"It could be worse," Loki says. "And you? How are your people? Agent Hill? Agent Coulson — ooh." He feigns an apologetic look. "Right. Sorry."

Fury nods slowly, like he's conceding that Loki does have a point, but he doesn't seem too bothered by it, with an almost condescending smile that matches Loki's. "He'll be missed," Fury says. "You know, I've never really believed in an afterlife. It's always sounded like wishful thinking from people who are afraid of death." He gives a small shrug. "Still, I like to think he's up there somewhere watching over us. I think he would really like to see you now."