Chapter 137

Loki hasn't been outside long before Thor sits down by his side. He only opens his eyes long enough to ensure it is his brother before he closes them again, allowing himself to bask in the sun's rays as he lies in the grass. He'd begun to think he'd never touch grass again. He doesn't want to give it up now.

"You look happy," Thor remarks.

"I am happy," Loki replies. For the first time in weeks – for the first time since Frigga left, even – he's happy. He's not going to hide that.

"How come?"

Loki takes a long, deep breath, letting the fresh air fill his lungs. "I'm outside."

Thor huffs, a laugh of a sort. "You are outside."

"Do you know how long it's been since I've been outside?" Loki asks wistfully.

"No more than 12 hours, I'd assume."

Loki opens his eyes and looks over at his brother to find the stupid smirk he'd expected to see. "You're not funny."

"You think I'm funny," Thor says.

"I really don't," Loki tells him.

"Yes, you do."

Loki just rolls his eyes good-naturedly.

"Is that all you're happy about?" Thor asks. "To be outside?"

Loki hums in response. "That, and I prefer the sight of trees to that of buildings, and the air unpolluted by thousands of cars below." He smiles and folds his arms behind his head. "Really, I am just happy to be here."

"I'm glad you are," Thor says. "Do you like your new room?"

"I love it." Loki sits up and turns to face him. "Have you seen it?"

"I have," Thor says. "I helped Stark move the fridge in."

"So you've seen that I have a TV?"

Thor chuckles. "Yes, Loki, I've seen that you have a TV."

"Isn't that incredible?" Loki asks, beaming. "I have my own TV – in my room! I don't have to go to the common rooms. I can watch a movie from the comfort of my own bed!"

Thor's smile falters, but he still pretends to be supportive. "That's going to be wonderful. You'll love it, I'm sure."

Loki frowns. "You don't seem nearly as happy as I'd hoped." Does he not understand how exciting this is? Does he not care?

"Of course I'm happy for you," Thor assures him. "I am thrilled that you have your own television. But don't barricade yourself in your room with it."

"I never said I was going to barricade myself in my room with it," Loki protests.

"I know, but it sounds like you are," Thor says. "Isn't it more fun to watch television with somebody else?"

Loki's frown deepens. It depends on who the 'somebody else' is, but he can't deny that he has a point. The team's movie nights are always hit or miss, but with just one or two other people, it really is more fun. And Steve did just ask him to watch a movie...

He shakes his head, ridding himself of the thought.

When it becomes clear that Loki's not going to respond, Thor starts a new conversation. "I just passed Clint and Natasha. They told me they talked to you."

Loki shrugs awkwardly.

"They seemed happy about that," Thor adds.

Loki sighs. "They were, and it was incredibly uncomfortable," he says. "Everybody is so nice now. It was never like this before."