Chapter 3 : Lani's friends

Chinnambal- Lani's best friend from school

"Lani and I go way back," Chinnambal said, gently bouncing the crying infant in her arms as she tried to soothe him. "We met in school and were inseparable—best friends, through and through. We did everything together. I'm so happy for her; Lani always dreamed of doing big things, of going abroad. She's really smart, you know. Mark my words, she's going to be a great scientist one day."

Chinnambal was Lani's best friend from their school days, and Lani always felt grateful for their friendship. Chinnambal's home had initially given Lani a glimpse of what a harmonious family might look like, something she yearned for herself. However, as the years passed, Lani observed the restrictions that a supposedly 'good' family could impose. Chinnambal, as bright and ambitious as Lani, had hoped to pursue further studies, but her family—her brother and parents—had other plans. They pushed her towards a stable government job and marriage. Eventually, Chinnambal surrendered her dreams to fulfill her family's desires. Initially, Lani felt a profound sadness for her friend's lost opportunities, but over time, she watched Chinnambal adapt to her new life and even thrive, which brought Lani some comfort. This journey of her friend's life made Lani unexpectedly appreciative of her own dysfunctional family. With no one to dictate her path from the day she left for collage, Lani relished her independence. She was truly her own woman, beholden to no one.

Now, Chinnambal has settled into her role as a government official, her life taking root a few villages away from where she and Lani once shared their childhood dreams. Now, she's not only juggling her responsibilities at work but also balancing her home life where she lives with her husband and his family. Together, they have two children—a daughter and a son—adding to the fullness of her bustling, interconnected household.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Priya - Lani's first friend from collage.

"Lani has been my bestie since college. She stood beside me as my bridesmaid when I got hitched and was there for me through thick and thin. Trusting her was the easiest thing; that meant the world to me. Lani is a genius, really. People often mistake her for this silent, complicated type, but once you really get to know her, you realize she's pretty straightforward and actually quite chatty. Good friends are hard to come by, and I'm just so glad I met Lani". Said Priya

Lani made her way to college in Mumbai, buoyed by yet another scholarship. Leaving her small village and school behind, she stepped into a vastly different world—a thrilling and expansive new environment. It was here, on her first day of college, that she met Priya. Lani instantly knew she needed to befriend Priya when she saw her effortlessly mingling and chatting without hesitation. Although Lani was confident, she often preferred the comfort of her own thoughts, retreating into her shell. In contrast, Priya was the epitome of extroversion, a natural leader with a vibrant personality. The two quickly became inseparable. Priya, who had lost her father when she was just three months old, had been raised by her mother, uncles, aunts, and grandparents in such a way that she never felt his absence. She held an idealistic view of love, shaped by the storied romance of her parents, believing deeply in a love that endured beyond her father's early death. Lani admired the purity of this notion in her friend's mind, yet she couldn't help but feel it was partly because Priya's father had passed away before any marital strife could surface. From her own life, Lani knew well that love could fade, leaving behind much more unhappiness than the fleeting years of joy. This understanding made her cynical, wary of trust—how could she believe in trust when her own mother could not trust her father?

Now, Priya holds a pivotal role as an executive at one of India's largest fertilizer manufacturing companies. Her vibrant personality, sharp social skills, and academic qualifications have all played a significant role in her career success. She embraced an arranged marriage, set up by her uncles, and the ceremony was beautifully timed just before Lani left for the US. Now, Priya and her husband reside in a spacious, upscale apartment in Mumbai. Currently, they are filled with anticipation and joy, as Priya is pregnant and eagerly awaiting the arrival of their first child.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shukri - Lani's twin flame

Shukri was the studious, smart girl in college, adored by her peers just like Lani. They both played similar roles, maintaining a facade of perfection. It wasn't until our third year, while collaborating closely on a project, that they realized how much alike they were and a friendship began to blossom. As time passed, Lani saw in Shukri a reflection of herself. She was as introverted as Lani was; often, they understood each other's thoughts with just a glance. Beneath their polished exteriors, Lani recognized the same kind of pain in Shukri that she harbored in herself.

They talked about everything—from religion and world affairs to campus gossip. Shukri was the first person to whom Lani confided all the stories she had held back, and Shukri shared hers in return. They laughed together, cried together, studied together, and found immense joy in their friendship. Discovering each other was like finding a missing piece they hadn't known was lost.

Nobody knows where Shukri is these days. Even in this age of constant connectivity, she seems to have vanished from the face of the earth. Like Lani, Shukri had also received a scholarship, but she chose a different path—she cut ties with her family to marry the man she loved. Lani supported Shukri's decision; having met both the man and Shukri's family, Lani believed that Shukri would find happiness in a quieter, more serene life. If there's anyone who knows Shukri's whereabouts, it would be Lani, but she has steadfastly refused to divulge any information.